• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Comming soon to an XJ near you..

G.Q. Jeeper

NAXJA Forum User
Well its lift install time this weekend on my 1994 XJ, I have a RE6020 kit and 4 Skyjacker Hydros getting tucked under the XJ, so now what can I expect when doing this lift? I have never done one before, however me and my good buddy who is a great mechanic is doing this, I just want to know what should I expect when doing this lift? and what should I buy new as well, I am also getting the tow hooks installed and I am wondering on the size and grade strenght of the bolts to replace when the hooks and brackets get installed, any info will be great

GQ

Wow, I could go one for quite a while with alot of stuff, but I would say the biggest thing I want to advise on no body else will agree with me. You will most likely break all 4 bolts on the rear shocks. Instead of drilling and tapping for hours, or cutting up your interior....

Buy some grade 8 bolts and nuts, put nuts in a LONG wrench, tape in place, slide into body from under truck, from center going out in slits in body, run bolt thru bar pin, and tighten, very easy to do. I did steal this idea, from Deke. You will understand once under jeep.

Also, have a good torch handy.

Be ready for some fun. I was blown away where my XJ went this weekend. I thought I would need a hitch and pull several times, never once got pulled though. Went into one hole so fast it soaked my stock air filter so bad it would not start! I have a 97 XJ with RE 3.5 with 31 GY MTr's. no lockers.... yet.

Hey thanks for the heads up.....

Just want to prepare for what is going to break and what I should buy that is not contained in the kit...will let you know how it is doing once installed

GQ

be prepared for itchitis, you will want more and more, but really, get some aerokroil or pb blaster and spray all the bolts under the jeep... then spray them again the next day, and so on...
if/when the rear shock bolts break, don't even try to drill and tap, find an air hammer and knock them out and replace them...
and do some searches on death wobble(even though you shouldn't get it) and read up on shimming the rear to eliminate vibes, just in case. the later models are more prone than yours is...

Get yourself a can, no, two cans, of Sillikroil and soak down every nut and bolt you will be turning 2-3 times a day untill you do the lift. I didn't do this and every bolt under 1/2" dia snapped off, and that was on a '99.

xjhm said:
be prepared for itchitis, you will want more and more, but really, get some aerokroil or pb blaster and spray all the bolts under the jeep... then spray them again the next day, and so on...
if/when the rear shock bolts break, don't even try to drill and tap, find an air hammer and knock them out and replace them...
and do some searches on death wobble(even though you shouldn't get it) and read up on shimming the rear to eliminate vibes, just in case. the later models are more prone than yours is...

I started preparing as my 6025 Kit is on its way also...

I sprayed every bolt two / tree times a day, if not more...
Started to wrench the shocks because of all the horror stories and too my amasment I was able to get all 4 off with out one breaking. (91 XJ)
I replaced them with new right away.

Make sure you lift your your jeep high enough so when the new stuff is on and you put your tires back it will be high enough..

Back