• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Cone filter on top of snorkel?

jeo

NAXJA Forum User
Didn't want to hijack another thread, and the search didn't address this completely. Now that I've covered my a$$...
I'm wanting to install a snorkel (after almost drowning my truck this past weekend in Sandilands with my under the hood cone filter custom jobbie), but my stock airbox is gonzers after installing my second Optima. I don't want to put an airbox under the hood, as I'm running out of room, so my question is this. Can I mount a cone filter on top of a snorkel setup without drowning my '98 in the rain? How much of a problem would this be, besides it getting a whole lot dirtier than under the hood? Is there anything I can make to prevent rain from getting into the cone filter without looking too gaudy? Thanks in advance.

If you want to run a cone filter, I recommend getting a filter box from a 96 Ford Explorer or there abouts. It is nice and contained and has tube flanges on both ends.

By the way, the design of the snorkle is such that the rain drains out at the top of the snorkle as it hits. I've never had any problem with water even in heavy downpours.

Use this setup that you can see here. http://www.dpgoffroad.com/tech/default.htm

washerbottle.JPG

Your idea wont work unless you want to mount something the size of a letter box up there!
Takes a cone filter inside.

Gojeep said:
Use this setup that you can see here. http://www.dpgoffroad.com/tech/default.htm

washerbottle.JPG

Your idea wont work unless you want to mount something the size of a letter box up there!
Takes a cone filter inside.
unfortunately, that won't work, as i mentioned i have my second battery there...

You buy snorkel socks here that fit inside the upper snorkel tube and held in place by the ram head. The only thing though is that I am pretty sure they are pre-filters only!
Maybe you will have to move the second battery behind the seat like I have done?

Did some searching around and on this. Have not read it all the way through so take a look. http://www.expeditionexchange.com/D90snorkel/indexmain.htm

DCP_1364.jpg

DCP_1323.jpg

DCP_1369.jpg

DCP_1332.jpg

I have the same setup as this XJ, it comes up where the stock airbox was.
washerbottle.JPG

I am going to change it to be more like this one that i found on madxj.com, but it is easy enough to slightly move the ecu, and have the pipe come straight through from the snorkel to the cold air canister(which i got at intenseperformance.com) this should still allow room for the oversized optima that will be going there.
cannisterAndHose_sm.jpg

Gojeep said:
You buy snorkel socks here that fit inside the upper snorkel tube and held in place by the ram head. The only thing though is that I am pretty sure they are pre-filters only!
DCP_1369.jpg

QUOTE]
That's beautiful! just what i was looking for. I think i'll just homebrew something so i don't have to buy a snorkel tube, then mount that contraption and filter on top... thanks!!!

Sorry to hijack the thread,but, i am looking to do the canister in my jeep as well and run it to my safari snorkel. I am awaiting the canister before i install the snorkel. I see you say you are running a kit like this. My question though is, does the canister fit flush with the stock intake air tube? I measure 3 inches on the intake tube and on the tubing that connects it to the snorkel. Also, i am also thinking of just running the tubing straight intothe engine bay from the snorkel instead of down in the wheelwell. But, lemme know how yours works and, any more pics if possible. Thanks!
Tylor

JeepinAudiophile said:
I have the same setup as this XJ, it comes up where the stock airbox was.
washerbottle.JPG

I am going to change it to be more like this one that i found on madxj.com, but it is easy enough to slightly move the ecu, and have the pipe come straight through from the snorkel to the cold air canister(which i got at intenseperformance.com) this should still allow room for the oversized optima that will be going there.
cannisterAndHose_sm.jpg

Anyone?

Back