• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

AW4 swap Q's

Audiophile

NAXJA Forum User
I'm swapping a 92 AW4 onto my 89 motor and I was hoping to rely on your guys experience. I have a couple questions:

I got my AW4 from the junkyard already removed. I saw a two piece dust sheild described in one of the writeups I was looking at. Can you use the dustshield from the AX15, or do I need a the two peice?

There doesn't seem to be a way to attach the torque converter because there's no room between the flexplate and dust sheild to attach the bolts for the torque converter. I've checked all my manuals (90 FSM, Chilton's, Hayne's and a Chilton's CD) and there doesn't seem to be any detail about it. In the FSM there was another automatic offered (999/797) and it showed a spacer in one of the pictures, so I'm wondering if there's one for the AW4?

If the AW4 doesn't need a spacer, does the automatic flexplate require shorter bolts than the manual flexplate?

Sorry I can't answer any of your questions, but....

Have you addressed the spline count difference, the '89 will most likely be 21 spline and the '92 will be 23 spline. You'll need a 23 spline input on the t-case, but that's a good thing! :)

You put the bolts in when the dust shield is off, just like on any auto. You rotate the engine to get to the bolts that are at the top.

Back