• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Throttle Body Spacers why so expensive?

Z22_Z33

NAXJA Forum User
80 bucks for just a piece of metal? do these things really work? the companies say they'll increase hp and torque by 15-20 but i've also seen real world numbers on the net from ppls buildups and at most its 5hp. I was just curious if anyone know where i could get them cheaper then this, do they just mark up the price becuase of the helix bore that suppose to increase power but does squat. i'd like more more power and fuel economy but for so little of that, why must i pay so high? (its a just a piece of metal how is it going for 80 bucks or more??)

Its because of the sales industry...they jack up prices because consumers are bound to buy it if there is a good reason behind the product being bought...ex..more horsepower and torque with only 4 bolts. And the real world gains are about 5-8hp if that even...depending on your engine setup.

That is the going rate for all brands. The machining process, the man hours and the materials add up, plus the mark-up for profit.

As I've said before, I didn't notice anything by way of performance. The only noticable difference to me is the whistling sound it makes at part throttle. Oh, and you get a few stickers as well.

My advice would be to spend it elsewhere, like a box of octane booster. You'll get more performance out of that.

something i was just thinking, could i make one of these out of a piece of wood and put a metal sleeve inside to keep any wood splinters from going into the engine.
if so i think i'll start my own business making wood throttle body spacers and sell em for 40 bucks half the price of a normal one, but at a fraction of the cost to make i'll be rich. lol

I think I paid $40 for mine since it wasn't a brand name one but it works exactly the same. I had one on my old XJ that could do 0-60 in low 6s. If you are looking for getting every ounce of power out of your XJ then I would say go for it. Thank godness superchargers and nitrous together scared me out of getting anything more rediculous.

The "helix" bore has got to be one of the biggest gimmicks though, right up there with the Tornado air intake tin can crap. I noticed zero seat of the pants difference with a TB spacer on a non-HO 4.0, glad I didn't invest any money in it.

Z22_Z33 said:
you got one for 40 bucks where was that?
anybody think that wood throttle body spacer idea would work lol
Here's what you do, Fred Flintstone. make your TB spacer out of wood. Put it on Ebay. see how much intrest there is. Or put it on JU and call it organic.

Okie Terry said:
Here's what you do, Fred Flintstone. make your TB spacer out of wood. Put it on Ebay. see how much intrest there is. Or put it on JU and call it organic.

Umm.. no offense.. but they've been using plywood for phenolic spacers since the beginning of time.. usually the exterior of the wood is coated in a heat resistant coating.. but ya.. plywood will work great.. and your throttle body will run a ton cooler..

-- WheatKing

If you want faster street performance spend the money on gears and a locker, set of 4:56's with 225's ought to be able to smoke all 4 wheels in 4hi thru 3 or 4 gears.... :viking:

AJsArmor said:
The "helix" bore has got to be one of the biggest gimmicks though, right up there with the Tornado air intake tin can crap. I noticed zero seat of the pants difference with a TB spacer on a non-HO 4.0, glad I didn't invest any money in it.

The helix bore is indeed just a marketing gimmick. The spacer does work in two ways; it increases the intake manifold plenum volume slightly and it increases effective intake runner length by 1". The result is a small gain in HP/TQ (typically 2-3hp/3-5lbft) and a small improvement in gas mileage (typically ~1.0mpg). The torque peak is also shifted downwards by ~100-200rpm. The torque gain is too small to feel in the SOTP but I think the spacer is worth the $50 or so that it costs.

hell after 25 tanks of gas or so it will have paid for itself

Back