• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

What's this between the visors?

Cherokid

NAXJA Forum User
I just picked up an '89 limited a couple of days ago party1: and there's this gizmachi between the visors that looks like some kind of optical sensor. I read through the manual and it makes no mention. WHAT THE HECK IS THIS?
TIA,
Cherokid

Cherokid said:
I just picked up an '89 limited a couple of days ago party1: and there's this gizmachi between the visors that looks like some kind of optical sensor. I read through the manual and it makes no mention. WHAT THE HECK IS THIS?
TIA,
Cherokid

Exactly that... Remote Door Opener. So remote you can't stand more than 6' from the vehicle for it to work....

i had a 94 with that and it was pretty much useless for keyless entry, had to almost be touching the car for it to work

I bought my XJ used (1996 Country, bought in 2003) & discovered the same infrared receiver on the ceiling. It should be possible to get a 'cheap' OEM remote from www.RemotesUnlimited.com (mine cost me $70 or so including tax & shipping) -- however, you must MUST make sure that it is the FACTORY-installed keyless entry system. And, if you get it from RemotesUnlimited, make sure you specify that it is an infrared remote (or whatever). Since you do not already have a remote for it, you might have to phone RemotesUnlimited (without the original remote, it is difficult to be certain you are getting the right remote from their website). Also, if you check your owner's manual, it should have instructions for programming/re-programming the remote (you can do it yourself, don't need the dealer, IF it is infrared; if it's not infrared, it will have to be programmed by a dealer or a locksmith).

You guys don't know what the hell you're talking about. It's a remote video camera so big brother can watch you from every angle. Haven't you ever wondered why it's shaped the way it is? Catch the resemblance between it and the bigger ones at the mall? Just be sure to watch what you do in your rig with whomever you do things with in your rig. :D
Dan.

DAMNIT!!!!! I knew they were watching me......

The keyless entry system never worked in my '93 from a lease return in '94. That was until someone broke into my Jeep and tried to tear the sensor out of the roof :dunno: My insurance company bought me new sensor with chip and a set of remotes (no deductible for vandalism). I love the thing. It works fine from 10 ft. away (as long as your pointing it near the sensor) and it's great to have all the doors open and lock together. Don't expect a quality remote. It's the cheapest piece of asian junk you'll ever see but mine still works.

That infrared remote goes hand in hand with the factory POS alarm system. If you ever decide you want to disable that thing (you will after it has locked you out for the third time in the pouring rain) do a search here or send me a private message and I’ll give you the instructions.

I have the same sensor in my 92 Sport. I went to the stealership and they quoted me $320 cause the computer that ran the factory unit was shot. So, i went to autozone and for $45 picked up an aftermarket kit and had it installed. Grand total of $70 and i can lock and unlock my jeep from about 200 feet away if not more. Just my 2Cents.
Tylor

Back