• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

New air intake?

muddy bike

NAXJA Forum User
This is my first post so far on this wonderland of XJ info so here it goes. I really want to upgrade my intake on my 96’ XJ but I don’t want to spend tons of money on an FIPK so I’m left with few options as far as a worthy upgrade. I stupidly built a homebrew FIPK out of 3’’ diameter stainless steel tubing on the word of a friend but it doesn’t fit a HO engines intake coupling. I thought about building another one in the right size but the factory air box isn’t really that bad so now I’m thinking about just cutting a ‘BIG A$$’ hole in the front of the air box and putting in a K&N filter element. So is this a worthy upgrade or am I better off just making a new FIPK?

Thanks for any and all help.

I got a homemade FIPK.

Got my STEEL Tube at a local metal shop. 3" Outer Diameter, 9" long.

I had no problems with fitting it to my intake tube.

K&N.jpg

ecrogers said:
What did it take to do the above homebrew? What are the two smaller hoses coming off of the tube?
It didn't take much to do, about an hours time.

The two tubes are 1) (FRONT HOSE) breather from the front most vent coming off of the valve cover 2) (REAR HOSE) the second one is going back to the charcol canister, all I know is they are there for recirculating emissions i think?? I could be wrong..

haligan said:
take a look at this intake. http://www.msnusers.com/firefighter...hoto&PhotoID=26
it is on my 96 XJ. I also have a throttle body spacer. The combo is close to not fitting. but it does. It actually rubs the hood some.

I thought the purpose of using a cone filter was to bring in cold air to the engine? If you tube runs directly over the valve cover it would effectivly be heating the air passing through into the engine. Would it not?

Yes it passes over the engine, but it is passing onto the side of the engine that does not ahve the exhaust manifold on it. Wrap that tube in some insulation and it won't pick up any heat from the tube, but you're still pulling hot air from the engine compartment- that's why I did the snorkel... cold air, my interior will never see water.

The front hose is the CCV, or crank case ventilation hose and the rear one is the PCV, or positive case ventilation hose, thats if I'm remembering correctly from when I looked into replacing mine.

And what do you mean by its not passing over the side of the engine with the exhuast manifold? I know it runs over it in my 95, my brothers 99, my friends 97. Am I missing something here?

Talking about the tube in the picture that goes up out of the throttle body and up over the valve cover... it starts on top of the intake manifold and passes over to the side of the engine that does not have the exhaust manifold. Normally it would go from the throttle body over to the driver side fender where the factory air box is, exposing it to more heat soak from the exhaust manifold.

As of the Intense performance setup. I am also using it, but there are a few things to be aware of. The canister is not sealed very well, i am going to run a bead of silicone around the center rib where the two pieces of the canister were connected. it's kind of a pain to clean the filter the way the spun aliminum canister is "pinned" to the filter, but I still think it's worth it because i can't think of an easier or cheaper way to do it on my own.

I had the entire side facing the fender and the back cut out. It did make a (seat-of-the-pants) difference, but for winter I put in a spare stock one with a second hole cut in the back. With just the stock hole, air only actually flows through the back of the filter element to the TB. With a second hole in the rear, air is pulled in more evenly, and it "feels" better than stock, but I can't prove that it actually is. I eventually plan to finish the second hole as in MADXJ's cowl snorkel.

Back