• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

What gas mileage do you get with your stroker?

MoFo

NAXJA Forum User
NAXJA Memorial Lifetime Member
I have searched, but could find nothing on fuel economy and strokers.

I need to pull my engine because it has 220K miles on it and leaks oil from about everywhere it can. Since it will be out anyway, it would make sense to rebuild it. I am considering a mild stroker, probably 4.6L.

However, with gas prices where they are, I am wondering what kind of economy I can expect. Please share your actual experience with gas mileage and let me know how radical your build is.

Thanks in advance.
MoFo

I'm running an 85XJ w/Renix on my 4.7L stroker. It has been decked .025 so I can run regular gas. It is lifted 6+ inches and is running 35x12.5x15's on 4.56 gears w/aw-4. I am running the 30# FOMOCO performance injectors. It has a large roof rack w/spare and a snorkle. I get about 18mpg at 65mph. At 75 it drops to about 14mpg. If I could keep it at 55 I think I might be able to do even better. The key is that on the road, it is right in the middle of its power band and at 65mph it is just loafing along.

It definately should get better than stock. Most people with a stroker probably don't though, driving differently with the extra power. :D

ZmOz said:
It definately should get better than stock.

Not necessarily. There's no such thing as a free lunch and increasing an engine's displacement will inevitably increase its appetite for gas as well. You can expect to lose 1-2mpg when driving in the city if you use the same driving style as before. You might recoup some of that mpg by taking advantage of the extra torque and change up gears at lower rpm so that you're in a higher gear most of the time.
On the highway, you might get the same or slightly better gas mileage than stock because you'll need smaller throttle openings to maintain the same speed or to accelerate.

Dyno, how do you think a supercharger would affect the fuel mileage, you're volumetric efficiency increases HUGELY when you put abit of boost to her, I've thought about that one a few times, what do you think?

I installed a supercharger on the last car I owned and it increased fuel mileage by a little bit if I drove normally. Then again, with the extra power it was hard to resist using it....

The potential is there for a small increase in MPG, but it will depend on how you drive.

Dave

Dave DE said:
I installed a supercharger on the last car I owned and it increased fuel mileage by a little bit if I drove normally. Then again, with the extra power it was hard to resist using it....

The potential is there for a small increase in MPG, but it will depend on how you drive.

Dave

:wstupid: :D

Junior,
My searches have found the worst case is a 10% decrease in MPG. It is in how you drive it.

When you are ideling or cruising on the hiway, you can expect equal MPG due to the bypass valve being opened. In other words, it is running like a 4.0 L engine.

During hard acceleration, it will perform based on the boost designed in. Some design in the equivalent of a 6.0 L. Obviously, more fuel!

Can we let the blower hijak rest for a bit?

Does anyone else have any actual experience they can post with normally aspirated strokers?

Thanks.

A guy in my club has a 4.5 running in his Cherokee. We have basically the same lift (4"), the same 31" MT/'R's and driving similarly.

The only real difference worth noting is his is a 5 spd, mine the AW4.

Onto the real data.

On one run on the highway last year for about 1 1/2 hours, we stopped to gas up before hitting the trail. We both had topped off before leaving on the trip, too.

When all was said and done, I had clipped off 18.7 MPG for the drive. His milage was pretty much the same @ 18.? Not sure whether he was running slightly better than me, but I would have figured the 5 spd would get better economy - either way, it got me seriously thinking of stroking when the time comes.

We both go easy on our rigs unless there is a need for the loud pedal - he then leaves me for dead as I will still go easy and grab a strap - not him, power through, baby, power through...:)

I get 13-15mpg city and 19-22mpg highway with my 4.6 and ax 15. thats driving normaly with an occasional lead foot. On the highway this motor is unbelievable, I had to recheck my math several times before I could believe it.

It's hard to keep your foot out of the stroker. They are just a ball to drive.

Now that I've clocked up 6700 miles on my stroker, I can make a good comparison to what I was getting on my old modified 4.0 with the same type of mixed city/highway driving. Averages are as follows:

4.0: 20.8mpg
4.6 stroker: 19.3mpg

Considering the 15% increase in displacement, an increase in fuel consumption of only 7% is pretty good especially when you consider the extra performance that's on hand and the temptation to use it.

I get up to 20 MPG with the stroker and could see 21 MPG with the 4.0 on highway trips. So difference is about 1 MPG highway, probably a couple in local traffic.

hey dr dyno,
what kind of power and increase in mpg with doin a stroker to a 92HO 4.0 with auto tranny that already has mods done to it. because before when i didnt have a lift and all that i use to get 18-24 mpg hwy with only intake and only running a cat. now with adding a header, boshe +2's and larger plug wires, about 10" of lift, 4.56 gears, rack, top mounted spare and 35x12.5's i get anywhere from 12-14mpg and hwy. i know its hard to speculate because its all different but when i go about doing it id like to do a 4.6 or 4.7 stroker. any rough estimates would be nice and if you could steer me in a good direction since i was looking at jakesracingengines.com but they are gone or moved somewhere.

Unfortunately it seems that JRE just suddenly disappeared off the radar screen and I don't know if they're still in business. If you don't have the time to cherry pick parts to build a stroker, your best bet would be to go for the Accurate Power stroker kit (minus the rods 'cause you'll reuse your old ones).
As for gas mileage, you've done your best to ruin it already with the 10" lift, 35's, and roof mounted spare (worse aerodynamics, more frontal area, and more weight) so I don't think a stroker can make it much worse. You never know, you might even get better gas mileage with the stroker because it won't have to work as hard as your 4.0.

well with mpg aside because obviously with how im set up i dont worry about it too much, id like to get some good usable power from the stroker when i do it. like i said im looking at the 4.6-4.7 range. basically im just tryin to get a feel for prices and finding a good solid kit. also what kind of cooling measures would i need to take? i have a 3 row csf HD rad, 180* therm, and manual aux fan switch, and all that makes my jeep run at the line between 100 and 210 constantly. anything else that i should look into for when i do the stroker?

With my 4.6L stroker I get 16-17mpg regardless of city or highway driving :dunno: In town, I do accerlate briskly and on the highway I cruze at 75-80mph depending on the flow of traffic. This is the same mileage as I got with my 4.slow:) Driving style hasnt changed, just how fast I get there:D

IF I putt around town and shift around 2200 or so and be nice and easy I get about 17mpg and highway driving at 65mph I get just over 18mpg.

I have 4.5" of lift with 4.10s and well used 32 A/Ts.

AARON

Back