• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Trxus MT treadwear? and 33's/rims

Amund2

NAXJA Forum User
Hi all,

I want 33" Trxus MT's, just a bit unsure about how fast they'll wear out, I've had 31" MT/R's for a year now, they don't seem to wear at all, they just get a bit slashed up from my wheeling, and the lugs are rounded. Can I expect the Trxus to last long on the road? Can't afford to buy them if they disappear too quickly.

Also, I will try to fit them to my XJ which now has 2,5" (or is it 2"?) OME lift, but extending the shackles and shimming the front springs to somewhere around 3,5"-4". Will it work on a stock (7", 20mm offset) rim? At least temporary.. I'm very fond of keeping the wheel offset stockish to save my steering, and keepin the wheels inside the fender flares, it's illegal to have the tires sticking out here (I can always extend the flares, but I want the tires to stuff inside as well). But I want to keep my turning radius as well. I can live with a bit of rubbing/adjusting steering stops but I don't want to lose too much.

I also see Interco listing 8,5-10" rims for 33x12,5 Trxus. All 8-10" wheels I've seen for sale for the jeep bolt circle have way too much offset outwards. Bottom line is, I think want the rims as far in as possible. I want them to stuff under the fenders if possible. I'm prepared to do some cutting, but a project welding and building new inner wheel arcs is outside my skills and time right now, maybe later.

Just found this link: http://www.rocky-road.com/wheels.html Seems like a very fair deal, and the backspacing I want. Any input on what backspacing I _should_ want, as well as: Do I want 8" or 10" rims? I guess 8" because of the risk of losing beads at low pressure? Have only been running 7" rims with 31x10,5 so far, no problems with losing beads (and I'm running almost flat a lot of the time). Also, will it be very wrong (what happens, wrong wear? Poor highway stability?) to put the Trxus'es on 8" rims when they say to use 8,5-10"? (I see mostly 8 and 10 inch rims for sale)

Sorry for the long messy post, but my demands are complicated.. :jester:

All tips and ideas are welcome, as well as links to web shops that have the best price on 33" Trxus, and the cheapest rims with the right measurements. I'm getting free overseas shipping for a friend who has business in California.

Thanks! :cheers:

Last edited:
Hey,
I've heard Trxus MT last about 30k miles depending on how much they're used on/offroad. To fit 33"s you'll need to do some trimming to get them to fit. As well I'd imagine you need to get rims with different backspacing. I'm on 31"s with stock backspacing and I rub at full lock, I can't image what an extra inch wide would do :x As well best prices I've seen is from a place called Sam's Offroad. Might want to have your friend check local stores as well.

- Kevin

If you want to keep the stock wheels you will at first have a turning radius like an oil vessel. Forget to keep stock rims with 12.5" wide tires, you'll loose your turning radius. Also the tires will quickly wear out in the center portion of the tread because the side walls are squished in so much.

Get at least 8" rims with a decent offset. Cut your fenders or extend your bumpstops.

I run 35 x 12.5 TrXus on 8 inch rims. Rolled a front tire off the rim in April at Big Dogs (VA.). Was running about 6 PSI, so I blame that on me being too low. By the way, the Power Tank does reset a bead.

I had 33 x 10.5 Swampers TSLs on 15x 8 with 4.75 B.S. That set up worked Very well, stuffed all the way in the fender wells with no loss of turning radius. When I stuck the 12.5 wide 35's on I lost well over and inch and a half adjustment on the turn stops. So I went with 15x8 rims with 4" Back Spacing. This setup works well, with just a small adjustment to the turn stops. Of course the tires are well outside the fenders, but there isn't as much fender there as there used to be.
Point is with 12.5" wide tires try 4.5" BS rims to get them to stuff in the fender wells but expect some loss in turning radius. Or lift it some more, remove some sheet metal and let them hang out side a bit to keep the turning radius.

Derik

Back