• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

33x12.5 Tires

33"x12.5" off road tires

• Swamper Bogger

Votes: 2 4.8%
  • Swamper Radial TSL

Votes: 14 33.3%
  • Swamper Bias 34"x 10.5"

Votes: 6 14.3%
  • BFG-KM

Votes: 20 47.6%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

woody

NAXJA Forum User
NAXJA Memorial Lifetime Member
Need another 2 (or 4) pneus, currently running BFG-MT 33x12.5 and not really unhappy with them, and plan to stay close to that size (D30) I have a set of 33" 'road' tires/wheels that would see most of the road use...but the new mud-pneus would be driven to Tellico, Paragon, Moab etc...

Swamper Bogger in that size would certainly work well in the EC mud-mode, but would ride & drive like shat & $180 per.

Swamper TSL Radial...$140 per...is the TSL that much less mud performance than the Bogger? Price is similar to the BFG

Swamper TSL LTB Bias 34x10.5. Cheap price, seemed to work well on the one rig I have seen wheel with them. Close enough that a 33 spare will work.

Good ole BFG-MT (actually good new KM) roughly same $$$ as
the TSL Radial. Quiet -LOL- and long wearing. If I got 2 more of these, the road tires wouldn't get swapped on much. They work awesome for a crossover tire IMHO, and they are a NAXJA Sponsor...

What's an East Coast boy to do?

Woody, what I've found in a short period of time with the LTB is that if they set for a few days they flat side and when you drive again they are really rough but with time they do round back up as they heat up and they wear pretty bad also because there so soft. I don't drive my XJ on a daily basis but the tires have wore down more than I have expected already
But they are great offroad though.
I'm very pleased with the offroadability of these tires.I would guess you would have to choose between roadability(wear) and traction.

Thats all I have about LTB's

TSL,TSL,TSL,TSL,TSL,TSL,TSL,TSL,TSL,TSL,TSL,TSL,TSL,TSL,TSL,TSL,TSL,TSL,TSL,TSL,TSL,TSL,TSL,TSL,TSL,TSL,TSL,TSL,TSL,TSL,TSL,TSL,TSL,TSL,TSL,TSL,TSL,TSL,TSL,TSL,TSL,TSL,TSL,TSL,TSL,TSL,TSL,TSL,TSL,TSL,TSL,TSL,TSL,TSL,TSL,TSL,TSL,TSL,TSL,TSL,TSL,TSL,TSL,TSL,TSL,TSL,TSL,TSL,TSL,TSL,TSL,TSL,TSL,TSL,TSL,TSL,TSL,TSL,TSL,TSL,TSL,TSL,TSL,TSL,TSL,TSL,TSL,TSL,TSL,TSL,TSL,TSL,TSL,TSL,TSL,TSL,TSL,TSL,TSL,TSL,TSL,TSL,TSL,TSL,TSL,TSL,TSL,TSL,TSL,TSL,TSL,TSL,TSL,TSL,TSL,TSL,TSL,TSL,TSL,TSL,TSL,TSL,TSL,TSL,TSL,TSL,TSL,TSL,TSL,TSL,TSL,TSL,TSL,TSL,TSL,TSL,TSL,TSL,TSL,TSL,TSL,TSL,TSL,TSL,TSL,TSL,TSL,TSL,TSL,TSL,TSL,TSL,TSL,TSL,TSL,TSL,TSL,TSL,TSL,TSL,TSL,TSL,TSL,TSL,TSL,TSL,TSL,TSL,TSL,TSL,TSL,TSL,TSL,TSL,TSL,TSL,TSL,TSL,TSL,TSL,TSL,TSL,TSL,TSL,TSL,TSL,TSL,TSL,TSL,TSL,TSL,TSL,TSL,TSL,TSL,TSL,TSL,TSL,TSL,TSL,TSL,TSL,TSL,TSL,TSL,TSL,TSL,TSL,TSL,TSL,TSL,TSL,TSL,TSL,TSL,TSL,TSL,TSL,TSL,TSL,TSL,TSL,TSL,TSL,TSL,TSL,TSL,TSL,TSL,TSL,TSL,TSL,TSL,TSL,TSL,TSL,TSL,TSL,TSL,TSL,TSL,TSL,TSL,TSL,TSL,TSL,TSL,TSL,TSL,TSL,TSL,TSL,TSL,TSL,TSL,TSL,TSL,TSL,TSL,TSL,TSL,TSL,TSL,TSL,TSL,TSL,TSL,TSL,TSL,TSL,TSL,TSL.

mac 'TSL' gyvr

LOL..quiet bfg's - mine scream like a cat in heat. If you're looking for crossover, I would say Trexus, that will be my next tire purchase -- if your looking for straight all around offroad ability - TSL all the way.

Why didn't you list the 33x12.5 Bias TSL? There are tons of people running these and they are happy. The bias Swampers measures 33.7", taller than the 34" LTB. Plus, they wear pretty well.
The radial Swamper has shallow tread that is linked in the middle, and weaker side walls. They still do better off-road than a BFG, but they don't match the Bias.
If you want cheap though, the LTB's are hard to match, but it depends how long they last, which I can't answer.
I am happy with my 32x9.5 TSL's. Tough as nails and they are doing decent for tread wear. Just need to be taller :D

this is not on your list but look at the Danman GroundHawg before buying boggers if you are in the market for mud tires. I found the wear good on the road considering they are a mud tire. a guy here at school has the 32" radials on his rig that is also his daily driver and he loves them. they are a little pricey but all the tires you have are cheap, i guess you get what you pay for. buddy has a set of 33s on his trail rig and we got it stick for the first time this spring and that was we tried to go through in 2wd because we had it though is 4wd so easy. we ended up on the frail rails in the rear because the tires just flung the mud.

I love my Pro-Comps 33x12.5 . Nice ride and wearing really good. Better kerfing for road use also.

If you already have a set of street tires. My recommendation is by far the 33x12.50 bias ply TSL. I believe they are only like $125. Yes they flat-spot when they sit and yes they are loud on the street but they work so dang great that you have to overlook that unless you are going to drive on them everyday. Plus, you'd have that with either the boggers or the LTBs too. A buddy of mine has 33x12.50 bias TSLs on his CJ and loves them. As someone else mentioned, they are 33.7" tall! Plus they are 8-ply. Most other swampers are only 6 ply. They hold their height very well when aired down yet still conform great to the rocks. I run the 36" TSLs and love them to death. I keep a set of 35" BFGs for the street and some off-road use. I couldn't be happier. For true off-road use, I wouldn't have anything else other than a TSL or SX. I don't have any experience with the LTBs but they look good. I hate boggers. Unless it is flat and you don't have to turn, they suck. Seen a lot of guys sliding sideways on off-camber trails with boggers where TSL and SXs keep going forward. I used to run some TSL radials and they were a good dual-purpose but I'd probably look at the SSRs over the regualr radials. The SSRs are expensive but give a better street ride and wear better than the other swampers. Glad to see you didn't mention MTRs. You'd hate life in NC with MTRs. Worst mud-tire I've seen in the mud. They work great out west but man do they load up quick in the goo. Was out in Tellico last year with 5 Jeeps. 3 had swampers, 2 had MTRs. Got really tired of pulling the guys with MTRs up the muddy hills. For NC, I'd definitely go with 33x12.50 bias ply TSL for mostly off-road and use your other tires for the street but if you wanted a dual-purpose tire, stick with the BFGs. They are still my favorite non-swamper tire. Just my 2 cents.

My buddy who was spotting me a few weekends back was amazed at how the regular TSL Radials will deform and wrap the sidewall around rocks, and hug rocks to climb with the sidewall without breaking the bead (10 psi). This is one place the TSL tread out performs the Bogger, on a lightweight like the XJ. The radial has an edge over the bias-ply TSL, as the sidewall stiffness is less, allowing for a more compliant ride and flex.

The SSR Radials are better than the TSL Radial for street use. The regular TSL tread will hydroplane fairly easily on wet roads. They will also take a flat spot if allowed to sit for a week, but it works out in less than a mile of travel. The rubber compound of the SSR is harder in the center tread blocks, compared to the TSL, so they wear better for street use.

TSL Radials will make noise when they need rotated (a quiet TSL? ;) LOL). The rubber is also soft (a 30,000 mile TSL? ;) LOL).

Truxus get my vote. The only reason I dont have them is they didnt have them in 35's. My buddy has beat his 33" truxus on and off the road on his tacoma. From wide open blasts into the mud to tellicos trails the truxus he have so impressed my I bought a set of 31's for my wifes xj. Let them ride at about 20 psi to get a good contact patch. Quiet ride (boggers sound like weed eaters on each fender) and pretty long life. The taco pilot has 30k on his and probably have 50% tread left. You know if you can put them on the wifes rig they have to be trusty( I guess it depends on how much you like your wife). I like mine.
Good tire. Better grip than an bfg mt and better ride than a swamper/bogger. He hasnt cut them up like I did with my General MT's either.

Well,I'm running TSL radials in the 33X10.50 size and am very pleased with their performance. I'm slowly collecting their future replacements(to ease the pain of all that $$$ at once later on),they are 33X12.50 bias ply TSL's. I love the TSL's,but the Boggers got my vote simply because of the NAXJA rain-curse :laugh: seems appropriate that if we're only gonna 'wheel in the mud,might as well have the king of all mud tires (street-legal mud tires,that is). If you're only gonna be running 'em off-road,why not look into some of those turf tires I see people running every once in a while. Seems like Rusty's project XJ had a set on it at one time. Kinda like a mini tractor tire :dunno:

Woody, I'm dissapointed in your poll options, where's the SX:D Seriously, you already know the answer. If you're gonna have streets and dirts- TSL is the only way to fly. I think boggers are for folks that need some kind of compensation for......... oh never mind:) I don't think I'd be much into wanting a radial unless it's the new Krawler.

Sean

Have you seen the new Firestone Destination MT or Dayton Timberline MT? Very nice tread pattern.

I had 33x10.50 radial TSL's and they were great. Only downside was soft tread comiound.

The Trxsus MT would be my first choice for a radial. I had 32x11.50 TSL/SX too and they were heavey and flat spotted and sucked my mpg down the drain. I would rather have a regular bias TSL...at least for an XJ. I would only get the SX in the 29" or 30"" sizes.

"where's the SX?"

The only 33 SX is 15.5" wide...new tires yes, new wide wheels no :) New 8" lift and fab work to make a 4 door XJ fit 36"...no :)

I am leaning towards the TSL Bias. I know they'd ride like crap on the road. OTOH the Jeep they are going on isn't long on 'creature comforts' anyway, so tis no biggie to me. I have road wheels and tires (33x9.5 Wild Country not MT but better than AT on OEM 15x7 Alloys) Bobcat tires like Rusty's rig would REALLY ride like crap to & from the trail...notice that thing underneath his rig most of the time...it's a TRAILER. Getting tugged by a 2003 Ram 3500. I have enough faith in my junk that I DRIVE it where I wheel it, and I make barely enough $$$ per week to afford to drive it. If I could afford a monster truck and a rig to haul it, I surely wouldn't be here asking opinions on 33" tires.

Goodyears to me would be nice if I needed 4 new matching street/trail tires, and they were sponsoring my fun. Not worth the (over)price in my book so that their sponsored rockcrawlers get free or discount rubber. I HAVE 2 BFG MT @ 35% and 1 at 75% (=1 off brand@ 75%) Short money solution would be 2 more fresh KMs, and be supporting a generous NAXJA sponsor. When the MJ comes alive for DD/trail duty, it'll likely be wearing BFGKM. The new Krawler's and MTRs look like they work well out west. Out west I am not, and I am not or ever plan to be a competitive/sponsored rockcrawler... (more of a recreational weekend lunatic)

As far as off-brands I have gotten great service from Wide Climber. It goes everywhere the 3 BFGs goes, and is holding up fine. I dunno if I could stomach a roadtrip on Firestones :explosion: I wouldn't have a bit of faith in those. Maybe you get a set and let us all know how they work ;)

Thanks

"Ever heard of MTR's. Better ride, strong sidewall, 35k on milage, great in the snow(swampers dig to much), $150 apiece."

:jester: You funny! We don't get a lot of snow in central NC, and what little rocks we have are usually glopped in thick clay mud. I need 'real' tires for trail-use...not DD tires that do ok on the trail.

"Goodyears to me would be nice if I needed 4 new matching street/trail tires, and they were sponsoring my fun. Not worth the (over)price in my book so that their sponsored rockcrawlers get free or discount rubber."

I have run a couple diffrent tires in the last year. Right now I'm on 35 SSR and realy llike them they work great in deap sticky mud but are great on the rocks in fact good enough to destroy my drive shatf on CJ-5 hill this weekend when i was guiding the jambo there when no one could find traction to get up it even a rubi on 33s. I did run 33" MTRs and i di realy love them in fact if i could have found a good deal on them in 35"s i would have them on there but i got a sweet deal on the SSRs. I've wheeled the MTRs at bigdogs and with only the rear locked I've made every trail up to trail 8 (death valley) and they always got me where i wanted.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back