• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Tera Flex coil conversion

Renegade Jpr

NAXJA Forum User
I need new leafs for my XJ and have been thing of going to coils in the rear. I ran accross the Tera coil conversion kit and it looked interesting, whats are your guys thoughts about this kit? any good? oh yea...does anybody know a price on it?

39 views and not one reply?...come on...anybody know anything of this kit?

Most probably don't want to get started on another rear coil conversion debate. The consensus over a long time frame has been that it's not a worthwhile modification. The consensus is also that it's VERY difficult to beat the the performance, including stability and load carrying ability, of the XJ's front coil/rear leaf design. Additionally, the Tera rear coil conversion has been on the verge of coming out for well over five years and has been discussed many, many times.

I'd get a good set of new leaf springs.

I think it's because no one has an opinion about it because no one has put it in their XJ. I usually don't discuss things i have no clue about. :D

Island XJ bought one of his XJ's (think it was a 94) with that coil conversion already in place. After wheeling it about 4 times he removed it and rebuilt a new leaf system in its place. His complaints were that it was too stiff when unloaded and too "loosey-goosey" when loaded, it bound up during extreme flex, and the parts were "too flimsy". You could PM him about his experiences, and I will ask him to reply to this post when I see him at work this afternoon, however, keep in mind that he is a redneck billhilly and overbuilds the hell out of everything he touches.
Buck :canada:

Buck Jackson said:
Island XJ bought one of his XJ's (think it was a 94) with that coil conversion already in place. After wheeling it about 4 times he removed it and rebuilt a new leaf system in its place. His complaints were that it was too stiff when unloaded and too "loosey-goosey" when loaded, it bound up during extreme flex, and the parts were "too flimsy". You could PM him about his experiences, and I will ask him to reply to this post when I see him at work this afternoon, however, keep in mind that he is a redneck billhilly and overbuilds the hell out of everything he touches.
Buck :canada:

Some of what buck says is right. Its a 92 xj, and i bought it with that POS coil conversion. It was too stiff unloaded and was too wobbly on the road when loaded up, plus a 450pound load made the rear end settle by over an inch, no good for long trips. The whole thing was too weak by my standards. I kept seeing myself ripping off the arms on a big rock. I got rid of it and went back to leaf springs and "overbuilding" stuff. That xj now has a d60 front and a 14bolt rear with 38's. Or at least it did when i sold it in march.
Perfect for a 2.5L :D
PS screw you bucky!

Cool, thanks for the input...I dont think its worth $1300...I just get some good ol' leaf springs ;)

Back