• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Please help with FUBAR pinion retaining screw on D35C

bleech1

NAXJA Forum User
Im pulling my axle to replace a leaking seal. The pinion shaft retaining screw is a 12 point head. I didnt have any 12 pt sockets so I preceded to round it off with a 6 pnt; I think 7/32. Now I cannot get the thing out. Ive tried needlenose Vice Grips that I ground the ends down to get in there. I removed the bearing retainer to get a better shot at the screw and attempted to hammer on a 6pnt 1/4 but it would not go on. Attempting to tap it out with a punch got me nowhere. I dont think I can get a drill in there to drill it out.

Any suggestions? Im thinking of picking up some 12 pnt sockets and maybe I can hammer one of them on?

Lesson learned...never try to get a 12pnt headed screw out with a 6pnt socket.

Help?

I would suggest going to get a set of bolt extractors from Craftsman or Napa or whatever. They look like sockets and the inside of them has cutting edges to cut into the rounded bolt head. I bought my 5 piece set for 20 bucks. Good luck.P.S. whatever ya do, dont bust an easy out inside of the bolt like I did.:)

Are you talking about the retainer bolt fot the carrier cross shaft? The bolt I think you are talking about is 1/4" 12pt. Try using a box end 12pt wrench to get it out. You can try one of those twist type extractor sockets as mentioned above, they work great. Just keep working at and you will get it out. As a last resort, you can just drive the cross shaft out od the carrier without pulling the retainer bolt, although you will most likely need to replace the carrier if you do this. Look on the bright side, might be a good excuse to buy a locking diff carrier.

Bryan

Thanks for the replies, guys. Yes Brian, that's the screw I am talking about. Im off to Sears to pickup a socket extractor. I dont plan on breaking an easy-out in any bolt...I wouldnt allow one on my property.

Back