• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Full-Traction problem solved

Capt. Nemo

NAXJA Member #904
I got one of the first kits of one of the first batches of Full-Tractions 6" Long Arm kit. Well, a couple of the first kits were shipped out with rear springs that were cut too long. I was informed by another fellow NAXJA member, so I contacted FT about the problem. They were going to fix the problem by sending me out some new - correct length- springs. Well, They are not going to arrive in time for my Rubicon trip next weekend. With the rig full loaded, the shackle was literally resting on the rear crossmember. I had about a 1/4" clearance without any gear in the rig. SO, in order to fix the problem in time for my trip next weekend, I fabbed up some new brackets to mount the shackles to:

This is the bracket in the rough:
shackle_bracket.jpg

Here's the bracket mounted:
shackle_bracket_installed.jpg

Here's the original location and shackle position:
shackle_original.jpg

Here's the modified position:
spring_mounted.jpg

The ride has improved. Now that my springs can compress, my rearend is no longer being catapulted into the air every time I hit a big bump. I did gain a little lift, but in addition to the lift, my pinion was roated up and my driveline vibration is almost non-existent at freeway speeds now. We'll see how it fairs out on the trail next weekend... :laugh3:

Camel_Joe said:
Looks Good! But are those two bolt the only thing holding them in?

My thoughts exactly. I want to do something similiar only to move the mount closer to the front of the Jeep and add some lift(opposite of these) - except I'll add two plates and a spacer and throw a bolt through the original mounting hole as well.

Kevin

There's one more bolt just above the shackle that goes into the rear cross-member. I thought that only three bolts might be sketchy, but when I flexed the Jeep at work with the forklift, there didn't seem to be any problems. If I find I need to reinforce it more, I'll weld a plate that I can attach to the bracket and the tow hitch bolts.

Back