• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

33s and 4:10s, impressions....

BillR

Toy Jeep driver!
I finally got a chance to wheel with my new setup (33 BFGs and 4:10s)
I did some good rockcrawling and I only found one spot where I missed the lower gearing that I had with the 32s and 31s. By and large, it worked great. Would I have the same set-up for a trail-only rig? Probably not. But for a DD/weekend warrior, the combination seems to work fine about 97% of the time. I'm not convinced now that the expense of the 4:56s (or 4:88s) would be worth it. This setup is not IDEAL for a wheeled rig, but it's very tolerable IMO. :yelclap:

FWIW, I ran 4.10s with 33x12.50 MT/Rs from last September, until a gear problem in January. I regeared to 4.56s. With the new gears, my gas mileage has changed very little (I cover 25,000+ miles/year.)

I'd struggled towing a pop-up with 33s, that had been trivial with 31x10.50 tires, and the trails in Moab were distinctly more difficult with the 33" tires.

BTW, this is all with a 5spd. Even with it being a DD, I'd never advise anyone to regear to 4.10s with 33" tires.

I'm runnin 33's w/ 4.10s in my 4.0L/auto MJ...

it's not as nice as 4.10s and 235s as far as crawl ratio but it's still more than adequate for 33s (I can compression brake down a 25* slope at idle w/o touchin the brakes)

CheapXJ said:
I'm runnin 33's w/ 4.10s in my 4.0L/auto MJ...

it's not as nice as 4.10s and 235s as far as crawl ratio but it's still more than adequate for 33s (I can compression brake down a 25* slope at idle w/o touchin the brakes)

I have a 5sp w/ 4.10s with 33s and regret I ever installed that combo, I'll be going to 4.88s as soon as I can afford it. there's no power on the low end and I have to use the clutch like a torque converter on steep hill climbs.

Scott Mac. said:
I have a 5sp w/ 4.10s with 33s and regret I ever installed that combo, I'll be going to 4.88s as soon as I can afford it. there's no power on the low end and I have to use the clutch like a torque converter on steep hill climbs.

You've got to be kidding me. I have a 4.0 HO with a 5-speed and run 33x13.50x15 SS LTB BIAS PLYS (sticky and HEAVY) and can easily spin the tires anywhere in 4 Low on slickrock hill climbs. For all but the steepest hills and taller ledges I don't even have to touch the throttle. It just idles up almost everything. Downhill engine braking is incredible on the trails. Geared about right for the highway - could stand 4.56's for towing anything. Holds 5th on the flats just fine and 4th is enough for the hills. City driving is fine too. I almost never have to slip the clutch unless I'm starting from a stop up a very steep hill.

Jared:patriot:

Scott Mac. said:

I have the same combo with the same results, no power on the low end. The only thing I can think of is that maybe it's because I don't have a cat in the exhaust.

imho 4.10s and 33s suck. i get terrible gas mileage as it is and dont put down the power i really want. thats why when i go to 35s or 37s im going up to 5.13s or bigger.

Scott Mac. said:
I have to use the clutch like a torque converter on steep hill climbs.

the only difference scotty pants, is in this situation, a torque convertor is multiplying torque, where you are merely WASTING it.

go auto or go home.

Back