• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Which throttle body Spacer? Airaid, Rock-City, JBitz

Double Down

NAXJA Forum User
I am looking at different Throttle Body Spacers for my 97 XJ and Rock City's seems thinner than the others. In fact, every spacer seems to be a different size. What gives and how much does it matter.

Airaid has a 1" space lift http://www.airaid.com/310-510_jeep.asp

Turbo City claims that "The intake volume is what make a space work, height is a function of volume. Not all spacers are equal. Spacers are always a trade off, as you never get "something for nothing". Our spacers are a balance of horsepower gain and ease of installation. No modification to fuel lines or throttle linkages are required" http://www.turbocity.com/product_info.php?products_id=154

JBitz has what looks like either a one inch or large spacer http://www.jbitz.com.au/product.php?id=12

So how do you really decide what you need? I plan on putting on a cold-air system through a snorkel, larger canister, high-flow filter, etc.

Thanks,

Chris

Honestly, I say, spend your money on somthing else. I've got an Airaid and the only difference I can tell is it makes a neat little whistle at part throttle.

I don't even detect a seat-of-the-pants difference.

Of course, your ass may be recently calibrated. Mine's been below acceptable limits ever since my wallet got smaller from buying it in the first place.

As always, this is just my .02

Why don't you try all 3 at the same time. If one is good 3 must be better right? BTW, I have this bridge that I am trying to sell....

Bryan

Buy whichever is cheapest, they all do the same thing. I suggest changing to a '99 and newer style intake manifold instead. It costs about the same, and is much better. It's like it has a built in spacer, along with better runners.

Okie Terry said:
Honestly, I say, spend your money on somthing else. I've got an Airaid and the only difference I can tell is it makes a neat little whistle at part throttle.

Of course, your ass may be recently calibrated. Mine's been below acceptable limits ever since my wallet got smaller from buying it in the first place.

Very funny... and true.

I drilled holes in my stock air box and it gave me a true 1 mpg more.... and cost me nothing more that a little time.

Peace

DCB said:
Very funny... and true.

I drilled holes in my stock air box and it gave me a true 1 mpg more.... and cost me nothing more that a little time.

Peace

DCB,
Why haven't I read more about this? Can you give me more details about the holes? Does it make any difference as long as it lets more air in?

Thanks,
Neal

Okie Terry said:

Fuuny...I heard your ass got BIGGER and thus created more overall drag for your rig.

red91inWA said:
Fuuny...I heard your ass got BIGGER and thus created more overall drag for your rig.
I can honestly say, I don't remember making that post.
I like it though.
And my ass is not big!

Okie Terry said:

lmao!!!

ZmOz said:
Buy whichever is cheapest, they all do the same thing. I suggest changing to a '99 and newer style intake manifold instead. It costs about the same, and is much better. It's like it has a built in spacer, along with better runners.

Newer manifold costing about the same as a spacer? I don't think so. You can pick up a bored 62mm spacer for mere beer money in e-bay. A manifold will set you back ~$120 and if your XJ is a '96 or earlier model, you'll also need the newer PS pump bracket and possibly the pump as well, getting the cost up to well over $200.

96 Cherokee said:
DCB,
Why haven't I read more about this? Can you give me more details about the holes? Does it make any difference as long as it lets more air in?

Thanks,
Neal

x2... Where did you put the holes, and how big are they? Thanks.

Suggest forgetting the spacer and go with a bored TB. I suggest and use Fastman - http://www.thefastman.com/Throttlebodies40.asp.
Search on this website and see comments on TB, Fastman and Jeepers Creepers.
Additionally, depending on your modified air intake, some spacers on some air intakes are too high for the hood (Turbo Cities as an example).

Back