• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Noise after AX-15 swap

BiggerIsBetter

NAXJA Forum User
The XJ is a '89 4.0 with a '96 AX-15 in it. There is a strange clunking noise coming where the tranny connects to the engine. The noise wasn't too bad and I actually drove on it for a few miles. Then I replaced the CPS for the usual no start problem everyone has, and now the clunking is louder than ever. Could it be the aluminum plate between the flywheel and the motor hitting the flywheel? Or maybe the starter not disengaging fully after the car is started? Any feedback would be appreciated. Thanks, Chad.

The first cuplrit I would look for is the mount bolts for the torque converter. They often work loose (and quickly I might add) and make a horrible noise.

HossHoffer said:
The first cuplrit I would look for is the mount bolts for the torque converter. They often work loose (and quickly I might add) and make a horrible noise.

AX15's are manuals and don't have Torque converters. Did you do the whole conversion and put an external slave on it keep the older internal ?? First thing I would check are the flywheel bolts and clutch setup.

RichP said:
AX15's are manuals and don't have Torque converters. Did you do the whole conversion and put an external slave on it keep the older internal ?? First thing I would check are the flywheel bolts and clutch setup.

Thanks Rich. Sometimes I forget to turn the brain on completely and don't process all the info. :doh: By the way the clunking from my AX-5 tranny turned out to be the exhaust.

The tranny I swapped in has the external slave cylinder.

I just got done taking the tranny out. I did notice the rubber mount on the cross member has some play in it, but I don't think it would cause the noise. The exhaust was hitting the cross member too, but wasn't banging around (even if it was thats not where the noise was coming from). So after I realize it probably isn't the mount or the exhaust I decided to get my hands dirty. I unbolted the bellhousing from the motor and slide the tranny out. I was expecting to find some clutch bolts loose or maybe a couple flywheel bolts, but I found nothing! Everything was solid. The ONLY thing that I was suspicious of was the aluminum dust shield, although I couldn't see it moving around when the motor was running, thats the only place that the noise was coming from, right between the motor and tranny where they connect. So now, I'm wondering if that is the problem for some reason, can I run without the dust shield?

Problem fixed! I spent the whole day taking off the driveshafts, exhaust, crossmember, tranny and t-case linkages, sensors, slave cylinder, transmission, and clutch, then putting it all back together. After all that I was messing around with the starter and noticed it wasn't disengaging all the way after the engine was started, it was still making contact with the flywheel. I took four washers to put in between the starter and bellhousing. Fired it right up and no more noise. Man I was so mad/relieved at the same time. Now I can finally enjoy driving my Jeep! :guitar:

Nice work. I know how it is to chase a clunking sound and everything you find isn't the right one!

Back