• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Best way to add 1.5"?

PWRDrill

NAXJA Forum User
I currently run the RE5.5 short arms and 35s.

I want to go about 1.5" higher for various reasons and run 37's. Please skip the lectures on why I want to go that high etc.

What would be the best and most stable way to achieve this? My RE1462 leafs in the back are about as harsh as I would like them to be so I'm not sure about AAL as I've never tried it.

Would a 1.5" spacer with AAL be the way to go? Does anybody know of a good shackle that would replace my RE 1.25"? Boomerang shackle perhaps as I don't like my lack of droop as it is?

I mostly rock climb and regularly beat the piss out of my rig if that helps you in your answer.

Thank you for your time.

Kevin

The Teraflex shackles will give you an extra inch over the Rubicon shackles. Not an inch and a half, I know, but it's a start.

PWRDRILL, come over and take a look at my set up, its about 7.5 to 8 inches and clears 35's with no trimming at all so i would be certain 37's would go on well with the trimming you have

PWRDrill, how do you like your current setup? I'm running 33's with the 5.5 inch kit, but I want to run 35's. I have a pretty decent amount of trimming, and bushwacker flares right now. Do your 35's rub at all? I was thinking of adding the Teraflex shackles, and a 1 inch coil spring spacer, but if I could get away without adding it, I won't. Have any suggestions?

SoNjJeep - I'd like to take a look, where do you live, and are you part of NMVJC by another name perhaps?

Matt98XJ - I am heavily trimmed. The rear is trimmed all the way to the pinch seam with maybe 1/2" before it. I run 35x12.5 and don't have any rubbing except on the LCA at full lock. It's not noticable except that I see the paint is worn off over time :) I like my setup alot actually, but a few obstacles out there have me wanting to go just a tad bigger. If you don't mind trimming, you will be able to fit those 35's easily enough. 35's on that kit look "right", and they feel right as well. You don't need to add anything to run 35s.

Kevin

Kevin, i forgot to add my name to the post above, lol.. yeah i'm kyle on NMVJC, ran with you up at diablo canyon.. my cousin is chris, the one with the black xj and 35's that went all out. i live over by Girard and San Rafael by UNM... chili pepper XJ with Mesa4x4 logos on the back, you can't miss it. let me know a time you want to take a look, i owe Brian and Shelia a visit anyways so i may be over in your neck of the woods soon.

Sounds good Kyle. Just let me know when you're going to be around and I'll swing by as I know where Brian lives. I work long night hours wed, thur, fri and every other sat so on those days I'm pretty much out of commission. Maybe I could get Chris to fab me up a set of those shackle boxes; I like the way those work.

Kevin

i'm sure chris could fab you some shackle boxes... He's starting on my exocage next weekend, full tie in's and reinforcements so he has the ability.

I'm running the RE 5.5" kit (netting 6.5" lift) and running 37's without additional spacers and shackles. Just plenty of trimming and bumpstops, which you will need to do whether you have 6" or 10" of lift, it just depends where you want your COG.

100_0042.jpg

100_0045.jpg

That's not bad at all. Did you hammer your rear pinch seams in or cut and weld? Have any close up pics of your rear trim job? I'm not getting 6.5" out of mine. It's closer to 6.

Kevin

Mine is trimmed pretty heavy as well. I hammered my rear up past the pinch seams, to fit the bushwackers. I'm running a big winch bumper, winch, rear bumper with the tire carrier as well, so I would like to add the extra inch just to make up for all that stuff. Then I think I'll be ready for the 35's.

15x8 rockcrawlers. 4" backspacing. With 35x12's and trimmed fenders I think it's about perfect. Here's how far they stick out.

image_2.jpg

and

image_3.jpg

Kevin

Last edited:
Back