• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Winch Bumper question (been searching)

JDComptonXJ

NAXJA Forum User
I'm gonna use 7/16 or 3/8" attatched to the three bumper holes (already have c4x4 tow hooks) for the frame mounts. My question is, would it be strong enough to weld two pieces of 1.5" x 3/16" or 1/4" square tubing between the two and bolt the winch plate to those with 4-6 grade 8's? Or should I weld the winch plate to the square tubing. I'd like to be able to take the winch off.
Then planning on running 2" .120 DOM under the header panel and back under the fender then bracing with some 1". Kinda like the TruckFarm bumpers.

that this of steel is overkill and can cause damage to the unibody during a collision... at most 1/4" but 3/16" is plenty strong and is commonly used.

poppabear said:
that this of steel is overkill and can cause damage to the unibody during a collision... at most 1/4" but 3/16" is plenty strong and is commonly used.

:huh: If it's in a collision the unibody will get fawked anyways. But 1/4" is plenty strong.

some bumpers are designed to absorb the impact so the unibody doesn't have to..... but most times if it big enuff the impact will harm the unibody.

Last edited:
Thanks P-bear and JC, I've got some 1/4" so that will save me some actually. But about the winch mount, should I bolt the Winch plate to some square tubing or weld it? I know most aftermarket winch bumpers have the winch plate built in, so I'm thinking I should weld it in.

Actually, new thought, could I just bolt the winch to the square tubing between the frame mounts? That would save 30 lbs. or better I bet. If I used some 1.5" x 1/4" square tubing between the frame mounts, and 4-6 grade 8 bolts, I think I should be strong enough.

-j

I would weld it in like this...to the bottom of the frame mounts and the front...

bumper4.jpg

I wanted a removable winch also. Purchased a front 2" tow package and also purchased a winch mount designed to fit the 2" receiver. I just plug the winch in. I can also carry it around back and plug it into the receiver there. In front the winch is a little low, but adequate considering I don't have to haul all that weight around all the time. No welding required - it all just bolted on.

JDComptonXJ said:
HOLY BIG ASS Winch plate! Where did you get that thing? Did you make it?

I may be wrong, but that looks alot like the winch tray for the C4x4 Fabrication bumper, minus the outer shell. At least that what mine looks like without the shell/cover dealy on.

yep.. c4x4...

Back