• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Wheel backspacing for 4.5" lift??

BDbass

NAXJA Forum User
I'll soon be instaling a 4.5" RE lift on my 2000 XJ 4X4 and want to run 32x11.5 tires. My XJ has 16" stock wheels, so I don't know if 15" rims would clear the brakes. The closest sizes I found in 16" are 265/75 (slightly smaller) and 285/75 (slightly larger). I want good clearance w/o trimming the fenders (I hope). Seems like the backspacing is the critical factor. I'd appreciate any knowlegable input. THNX!

I'm running 3.75" BS with 32's ... the tires do not stuff in the fenderwells. I had to trim the fenders and extend the bumpstops. If you have searched this site, you probably have found most run 4" BS or more to allow for the clearance.

Cannot comment on the 16's ... HTH

Les

If you go with 8" wide rims 4.5" or 4.75" backspacing should work fine. With 7" rims 4.5" backspacing works quite well. Keep in mind the further out your rims go the more stress you put on components (e.g. bearings).

In my experience, regardless of backspacing, you will need to do a little trimming to run 32's with no rubbing. The fraction smaller that the 97+ wheelwells are really shows when you're stuffing tires with any kind of turn. I used to run a 91 w/ 4.5 and 32's on 4.5 BS, no problem. I swapped all the lift, tires etc to my 99, rubbing big time. I have now moved to 3.75 BS, and cut a little flare off of every corner of every flare (not enough to really notice). I still rub a little stuffed and turning. Just my .02.

This is a 2000 with RE4.5" kit and 265/75/16's.No rubbing except the factory plastic bumper returns(gone now)!
32s.jpg

BDbass said:
...nice XJ, RCP... Do you know the B/S on those wheels??
They are the factory alloys with 5" backspace!

I don't mean to hijack this thread, but is 4.5" back spacing good for a 15x8 wheel with 35's and 5" lift and bushwhacker flares and lots of trimming?

Thanks,

Somehow I missed this - 4.5" lift and 32s and I have 15x7 AR767s with 4" BS. Fits good

What the hell are AR767's? What is that- military size or something?

interesting variety of answers. Thanks for the input...
My installer (M.I.T.) called Rubicon Express today and they recommended 4.5" b/s for my set-up (4.5" lift w/ 32" tires). That works perfect as the wheels I wanted (and will try out) are M/T classic II 16X8 w/ 4-7/16" b/s. along w/ 265/75R16 BFG M/T's.

I'll let you know how it all works out in about a month.
bd

Back