• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Regear in the springs

Nik

NAXJA Forum User
Any of you guys out there know of a place that will do gears for cheap here in the CO Springs or up in Denver. Or can I trust an of u to do it. Never done it and I dont want to fawk it up.

Thanks Nik :gee:

Diff companies charge 450 around here to do it in a pulled axle with the parts already bought. :smoker:

I can talk you thru it if you have the right tools.

450$ is like first born... I will check and see if any of my customers in that area did there own gears.

Nik said:
Diff companies charge 450 around here to do it in a pulled axle with the parts already bought. :smoker:

What tools do you require to do it. I have a shitload and can rent anything from pepboys for free the shimming is what i need help with. I know if u dont do it correctly they will blow after a short while. Actually I just really need someone to shim them correctly. I can do the rest. I have to gears and install kits.

Thanks

Nik

I have a press and I can get anything needed to do it.I can get everything installed except for the proper shimming of the pinion on the ring. That really is all I need help with.

The only reason I havn't started is I am not sure how to shim.

One other question

Will I need a neew carrier or not for 4.88's from 3.50 in a closed nuckle, full floating standard rotation D44

Tools you will need

shop press, bearing seperator, dial indicator and magnetic base, dial calipers, 0-50 inch pound torque wrench, and a brass hammer. along with some common tools.

you can either start with using to old shims under the new bearings for your initial setup or you can do the math. or a combonation of both.

start with looking at the old pinion head. there should be a +/- number like +2 or -1.

then look at the new gear and find the +/- on it.

if the old gear has a +2 and the new gear has a -2 then remove .004" shims from the pinion.

when setting the backlash, in order to make a change to the backlash, move 1-1/2 times the shims from one side to the other. example,

backlash is showing .011" and you want an ideal .007". the difference is .004" so moving .004" from the passenger side to the driver side will get you about right.

in regards to the carrier. for 4.88's no you can purchase thick gears instead of a new carrier. that will save you about 50$ or so.

good luck.

Nik said:
I have a press and I can get anything needed to do it.I can get everything installed except for the proper shimming of the pinion on the ring. That really is all I need help with.

The only reason I havn't started is I am not sure how to shim.

One other question

Will I need a neew carrier or not for 4.88's from 3.50 in a closed nuckle, full floating standard rotation D44

Back