• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Fog Lights

drewbsking

NAXJA Forum User
I currently have factory installed fog lights on my 2001 XJ, the seals are broken and they are rusting out. I was going to replace them with Hella 450’s and put them in the exact location and have them behind cut out of the bumper like they are now for the clean look. Has anyone done work with a 2001 it seems as though older models although they look the same have a little differences when it come to the fog light setup.

OH, thats what you meant, you're not going to fit 450's behind that air dam, they are going to have to go in front or you are going to have to do some big trimming on the plastic...

another thought is to go HID's like i am planning on. Sylvania makes an HID setup that is the same size as the factory fog lights(i have a 2000 Limited) It costs a few bucks, but it'll make some really great light...if you plan on doing wheeling, i might go with the regular lights, if you sink em or fry em thats a good chunk of change to have wasted.

Hey all just in case you were wondering I bought and installed the Hella 450's and it all worked out GREAT. I removed the factory installed fog lamps and the bracket that attached the lamps to the car’s sheet metal. Then I simply cut the wires off the OEM fog lamps and used the connector and plastic hosing to install the new ones. I then soldered more wire to make it a little longer and crimped the connectors. From there I was ready to install my new fog lights. I didn’t put them in the exact location of the old ones because the lamp is considerably bigger. The best place was to put them were the thorax bolt came from that head on the bracket for the old lights. It’s an oblong shaped hold and I used a file to make the hole a tad bigger to put the new light in. The new light hang out in front of the “ground effect” if you will just in front of the rectangular shaped cut out from the factory fog lamps. The hardest thing in this project was the soldering.

For under a 100 dollars I got bigger (because they were the smallest Hella makes) better lights which sure beats Mopar’s price of 100 some dollars for just one lamp which really suck anyways which are made in Austria. So if you don’t care about keeping the factory look and you want some serious lighting this is one easy project that’s cheap and well worth the time and money.

I too have the Hella 450's and I love them. I can't believe how much they help out the regular headlights. I also have the Hella 550's on top of my bumper in a driving beam for the long range lighting on back roads. Works out nicely.

Back