• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Too Tight or Too Loose?

My_Little_Pony

NAXJA Forum User
I just finished replacing my water pump and at the same time I decided I might as well do my serpentine belt at the same time. Well it is on now, but it squeals when I give it gas. So, would this mean the belt is too tight or too loose?? Or neither, then what would it mean?

As I've heard RichP say many times(and I took his advice) a serpertine belt tensioner is a great tool. A new belt needs to be tightened pretty damn tight. I can barely move mine a little and it's between the used/new tightness. Was the Waterpump the source of the leak like I thought it may have been?

- Kevin

Last edited:
Yes, you were correct!! Man, the worst part of fixing that water pump, was the fact that I have been sick since Monday and haven't been going to work, BUT still find myself under the Jeep working on it.

I say too loose. With a new belt you may need to tighten it again after driving for a bit. The new belts tend to stretch a little loosening up.

Back