• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Slip Yoke Eliminatior Install Difficulty?

climberjeep

NAXJA Forum User
OK, I searched the forums, and couldn't find a thread like this, so here goes. How hard is it to install an SYE on a 94' XJ with the 231? Also, is there a company that sells an SYE kit that can be used with the original driveshaft, or does it need to be replaced anyways. Finally, what is the cheapest that you guys have found that is still decent quality? Thanks

Budget all day so you can take your time and get aquainted with your 231. The process itself is really easy for a first timer with the right tools. Hell, I did it.

A new driveshaft is required because you are eliminating the slip joint at the tail shaft of the 231. The new shaft relocates the slip spline to the middle of the new shaft.

I really like Tom Woods. www.4xshaft.com Good Luck!

I favor the advanced adapters SYE. and I have been able to compare it toe the Currie kit.

I can install the AA kit in under two hours in the vehicle... no bull.
there are two ways to correct the pinion angle for the SYE. the harder way is to cut the spring perches off and shock mounts and reweld them in the correct position. that takes me about 2-3 hours.
the easier way is to install shims to rotate the pinion up, this can be done in about an hour.
when you install a double cardan driveshaft you need to point your pinion about 1º below parrallel with the driveshaft.

The AA kit is straight forward, but with any kit you will need a few other tools.
lockring plier. they are like snap ring pliers but lock rings don't have eyelets. just a gap that you pry appart.

10mm or 8mm 12 point socket. (I forgot which one)
24" 3/8 extension helps to get at one bolt on the back side with a universal joint.

other than that its all standard hand/air tools.
you might need a cutoff wheel to cut through the shift rail on some vehicles.

and when your calling around for driveshafts, check with six states. Eric will do good work.

tom wood's was an easy install, straightforward with good directions, good prices on his sye and shaft combo...at my door in ky. three days after i placed the order...

Rawbrown pretty well covered it. However, if you have not done this before, and don't have someone around that has, then it might take longer. Little things can hang us inexperienced guys up. LOL I lost a lot of time when installing my SYE because I could not get the &#*@&! seal to come off. First, I didn't realize that the seal included the entire metal cap in addition to the rubber ring (hey, I am new to this - I figured it out fast enough :) ). Then I really tried to get the seal off without destroying it - just in case I might somehow need it later. I'm stuborn so it took me a while to give up and just destroy the seal.

I strongly recommend going to Sears and buying the largest snap ring and largest lock ring pliers they have. Do not waste your time with the dual use pliers sold by chain automotive stores - they are not up to the job. Having good snap ring and lock ring pliers makes all the differance in the world.

-Brian

Rawbrown said:
I favor the advanced adapters SYE. and I have been able to compare it toe the Currie kit.

I can install the AA kit in under two hours in the vehicle... no bull.
there are two ways to correct the pinion angle for the SYE. the harder way is to cut the spring perches off and shock mounts and reweld them in the correct position. that takes me about 2-3 hours.
the easier way is to install shims to rotate the pinion up, this can be done in about an hour.
when you install a double cardan driveshaft you need to point your pinion about 1º below parrallel with the driveshaft.

The AA kit is straight forward, but with any kit you will need a few other tools.
lockring plier. they are like snap ring pliers but lock rings don't have eyelets. just a gap that you pry appart.

10mm or 8mm 12 point socket. (I forgot which one)
24" 3/8 extension helps to get at one bolt on the back side with a universal joint.

other than that its all standard hand/air tools.
you might need a cutoff wheel to cut through the shift rail on some vehicles.

and when your calling around for driveshafts, check with six states. Eric will do good work.

Dirk Funk said:
Budget all day so you can take your time and get aquainted with your 231.

All day.....Hell it only took me 4hrs from open to close and i've never cracked the t-case open before. And that was taking my time and putting away random tools in the process. It's not hard with patience, and basic hand tools. The only thing you'll need is a good set of lockring pliers.

I installed the Tom Woods kit and haven't had any problems or difficulties in the 2+ yrs i've had it.

Rawbrown and BrianJr covered all the main points well. I just wanted to add a handful of things.

I JUST finished my SYE yesterday. I got the teraflex HD SYE from dc4wd.com (gave me an awsome price and awsome service), and bought a used driveshaft from someone on here.

The 12 point socket you need is 10mm. When I did my install I only bought Lockring Plires (Sears was out of snapring plires). There was one point in the install where I really needed the snapring plires, ended up borrowing a pair.

As everyone else says, it's rather easy to do. I'm one of the slowest people you'll ever see, I did mine in about 10 hours (Wish it took me >4 hours like some of you!), first time I've ever had the Tranfercase apart, did it completely by myself with the transfercase still on the jeep. In the 10 hours I spend a great deal of struggling with one internal snap ring, as well as took a ton of pictures, drank a lot of soda... It was fun. :)

~Brian

Back