• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Replacement Valve Cover

BIGSLVRXJ

NAXJA Forum User
Apparently my valve cover is warped so it wont retain oil. Where can I get a new one thats not warped besides the junkyard or the dealer. I'm lost on options here I dont want to 215 or whatever at the dealer though. Thanks for any help.

There is a guy on Ebay that goes under JK Jeepers. He has all kinds of parts for XJ/MJ's. I got a valve cover for 5 buck last year off of him. So search ebay for one. I would sell it to you but I put in on the old engine for a stroker project that is going to down the road. Juice

Quadratec sells cast aluminum in colors, nice covers too... Alot of times you can straighten the warped ones out on a good steel table like an industrial grade table saw or large enough jointer. Can be time consuming though, done a few for people and it takes some thinking before you tweak it even worse.

RichP said:
Quadratec sells cast aluminum in colors, nice covers too... Alot of times you can straighten the warped ones out on a good steel table like an industrial grade table saw or large enough jointer. Can be time consuming though, done a few for people and it takes some thinking before you tweak it even worse.

I got a plastic one from the dealer for like $40.....yea its plastic, but they dont make metal covers for the 4 cyls, not that I could find anyway.....

BlueMJ said:
I got a plastic one from the dealer for like $40.....yea its plastic, but they dont make metal covers for the 4 cyls, not that I could find anyway.....

Yea, they do make a metal one for the 2.5L, my duaghters boyfriend found one for his MJ because his plastic one was cracked. I'll ask him where he got it. Me, I thought it was only the L6 that had a plastic cover.

But Ive got a 1990 guys. quadratec only offers for 94 and up. The dealer might have a plastic one for the I-6 though? Is that what your saying?

i think the junk yard would be your best bet.

have you tried using a cork gasket to make up for the warpage?

This may be part best picked up at a junk yard. You may call around and see if there a yard that will sell you one or get you one off "the network". I recall the cast aluminum cover for my 88 XJ $110 in 2000, that when I decided to scrape off the RTV and use the fel-pro gasket.

Also when you install are you using a torque wrench and tightening from the center out? I highly recommend you go buy a torque wrench to do this job it you do not have one. I think for my 88 XJ the torque value is 28 or 56 in-lbs, have to look in my manual. That not much torque but with 15 bolts it does make a difference.

Also use indian head gasket cement to stick the new gasket to the valve cover. It keeps the gasket in place as you drop the valve cover in down on the head. Also torque it from the center out in the normal circular pattern, wait 10 minutes do it again. keep repeating every 10 minutes until the bolts hold torque.

Back