• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Chrysler 8.25 LSDiff?

cougar101

NAXJA Forum User
Hi all, I currently have the POS Dana 35C rear axle in my '88 XJ, I'm thinking of upgrading to a 29 spline Chrysler 8.25. Just wondering if anyone could tell me what LSDiff came in these from the factory, and are they any good? Thanks, Darin.

Dana Trac-Lok.

"Good" depends on what you want. It's a good unit for winter sriving on pavement and mild, occasional off-roading. It is not as aggressive as other limited slips, and it obviously isn't a locker.

Why do you refer to your Dana 35 as a "POS"? Your XJ is now about 15 years old. How many miles did that diff carry it? The fact that it may not be as strong as what's used in much larger vehicles doesn't make it a POS. The days when Detroit vehicles came with over-engineered components are LONG gone. The Dana 35 is a good, reliable diff withing the parameters for which it was intended. If you want to run much larger tires or do extreme mods to your Jeep, that's a choice you're free to make but it doesn't make the D35 a POS.

Last edited:
Eagle said:
Dana Trac-Lok.

" that's a choice you're free to make but it doesn't make the D35 a POS.
:fuse: Can you say POS<POS<POS<POS! Do you own the company that builds these for Jeep? :loveu: You can't polish a turd, and have it change into a something that doesn't stink. :puke: Just one more opinion by one individual.

willysnut said:
:fuse: Can you say POS<POS<POS<POS! Do you own the company that builds these for Jeep? :loveu: You can't polish a turd, and have it change into a something that doesn't stink. :puke: Just one more opinion by one individual.

whats wrong with the dana 35 on a stock vehicle?

89xj said:
whats wrong with the dana 35 on a stock vehicle?

Nothing, there are millions of Jeeps with D35's in them. In their stock config they are fine. The major issues that come to mind that limit them is when going to say 35" tires or putting in a full locker vs a limited slip in with big tires, they tend to break axles and other stuff. The 8.25 is the next step up followed by a D44 followed by a 9.25 and D60. You can use other axles by ford and GM but they require some welding, moving brackets and other stuff and are not a straight bolt in change mostly. I have the 8.25 with an auburn and am very happy with that, but I don't do alot of hard core wheeling either and doubt that I will ever go bigger than 31's on mine.

Back