• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Help identify rear D44. What's it out of?

OT

NAXJA Forum User
Okay, some of y'all know I work in a salvage yard, so this sounds funny.

We have a D44 that I'm contemplating buying, but I don't know what it is out of, nor does my boss. If I need parts I want to know where to start.

Here's the info:
It has disk brakes with a 6 on 5.5" lug pattern. The WMS is 58" and it has factory 4.10:1 gears with an open diff.
The spring perches are mounted for a spring under application and there is a flanged yoke on it.
The vent tube comes out of the cover and there is a speed sensor on the top of the housing with a tone ring on the carrier.
On the bottom LH case webbing is a "3" centered over "44901" and on the LRH webbing looks to be "NC" centered over "4295".
The TRH web has an "S" stamped on it.

That is all I can provide except for maybe a picture tomorrow, if I can remember to take my camera to work with me.

If it is a good find, what can I do about my front 30 regarding the 6 on 5.5" pattern (besides pull it for another 44)? I will add a front D44 later but need to run my D30 for now.

TIA

I would guess Isuzu but not sure. Thats the only thing that I cant think of that is disc brakes and 6lug

Does the cover have cooling fins on it? If so then it's definately an Isuzu, if not, it could still be an isuzu, but I'm not sure.

Ary

its early isuzu rodeo with of 58 1/2" prior to 95. 96 and on is 59 3/4". The Isuzu also uses corvette gears. thick gears on the 3:73 and down carrier, came stock with 4.10 and 4.30 gears.

on an XJ the only real priblem you will run into is wheel back spacing to clear the leafs, and an adapter for the metric brake lines

Also youw will need to fabricate new mounting brackets for the caliper brake lines. you wiill need to mount the bracket on one of the caliper mounting bolts to give you clearance to mount the springs.

This is the one you are talking about right?

picture.JPG

picture.JPG

Here it is in my MJ. Install will be tighter on the XJ because the springs and frame are several inches narrower on the MJ

Last edited:
Okie Terry said:
Okay, some of y'all know I work in a salvage yard, so this sounds funny.

We have a D44 that I'm contemplating buying, but I don't know what it is out of, nor does my boss. If I need parts I want to know where to start.

Here's the info:
It has disk brakes with a 6 on 5.5" lug pattern. The WMS is 58" and it has factory 4.10:1 gears with an open diff.
The spring perches are mounted for a spring under application and there is a flanged yoke on it.
The vent tube comes out of the cover and there is a speed sensor on the top of the housing with a tone ring on the carrier.
On the bottom LH case webbing is a "3" centered over "44901" and on the LRH webbing looks to be "NC" centered over "4295".
The TRH web has an "S" stamped on it.

That is all I can provide except for maybe a picture tomorrow, if I can remember to take my camera to work with me.

If it is a good find, what can I do about my front 30 regarding the 6 on 5.5" pattern (besides pull it for another 44)? I will add a front D44 later but need to run my D30 for now.

TIA
If you can get the BOM number off of the axle tube just to the right of the pumpkin looking at it from the diff cover side, I will see if it is still listed on my spec sheets

xjnation said:
its early isuzu rodeo with of 58 1/2" prior to 95. 96 and on is 59 3/4". The Isuzu also uses corvette gears. thick gears on the 3:73 and down carrier, came stock with 4.10 and 4.30 gears.

on an XJ the only real priblem you will run into is wheel back spacing to clear the leafs, and an adapter for the metric brake lines

Also youw will need to fabricate new mounting brackets for the caliper brake lines. you wiill need to mount the bracket on one of the caliper mounting bolts to give you clearance to mount the springs.

This is the one you are talking about right?

picture.JPG

picture.JPG

Here it is in my MJ. Install will be tighter on the XJ because the springs and frame are several inches narrower on the MJ
That's the one. Are brake parts difficult to find? I think I will probably have to replace one of the calipers because it's been sitting and it looks bad. I hope the piston still moves. Also what kind of back spacing are we talking? Will this be okay for 35"s or 37"s or should I just stick with my '79 Bronco front 44 and 9" rear that I have sitting under the carport?

Anyone have advice on the D30 question?

Okie Terry said:
That's the one. Are brake parts difficult to find? I think I will probably have to replace one of the calipers because it's been sitting and it looks bad. I hope the piston still moves. Also what kind of back spacing are we talking? Will this be okay for 35"s or 37"s or should I just stick with my '79 Bronco front 44 and 9" rear that I have sitting under the carport?

nOt hard to find I can buy em at napa or anywhere. I think 2.0" back spacing or 8" rim for 12.50 is what I figured

Go to this site to ID your axle by the BOM #

Go here Dana Expert and enter the Bill of Material number located on your axle tube. It will tell you EXACTLY what your axle is off of as well as give you part numbers for all the components.

Kenji
:us: :skull1:

Okie Terry said:

Umm why wouldn't you use the bronco axles, go radius arm up front and leaves out back, if you allready have them just chuck it in.

I agree with gary. Then you have the option of going 35-spline in the rear if you think you need it and you'll have matching bolt patterns.

Thanks Gary and Basalt. That's exactly the answer that I wanted to hear.

I just wasn't sure If this was some good deal under my nose or not.

I could have gotten it for $200. That's how much I've paid on the '79 Bronco so far to my boss. He already let me have it and it's under my carport. In the end I'll have it for $600, but I was just gonna call it even and take the 44.

I too think I'll be happier in the end with the 9" and 44 from the Bronco.

Thanks for the advice.

Back