• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

K&N vs. Safari Snorkle

92jeeper

NAXJA Forum User
Alright. I have a 92 with the 4.0 HO. Whoever had the jeep before me put a round filter right on of the engine. It's summer time now, and engine temps are getting hot, cause it' sucking air right off the top of the motor. My question now is, i am looking to purchase either a K&N intake tube, or, a Safari Snorkle. Which to do is my question. I already sit on 7 inches of lift, so, the snorkle isn't needed, but will be used in the mud, but, with the K&N, it lowers where my motor takes in air. I found them for the same price as the other. I know the K&N will improve hp, but, what if i put the safari snorkle on and put a K&N filter inside it? Any input would be greatly appreciated. Thanks
Tylor

I run the K&N and Snorkle set up. It doesn't seem to matter which air filter is in there, the hp isn't really that noticeable. The snorkle does provide cold air into the box. Which adds hps, but most important it helps with mpgs. If you do the snorkle, doesn't matter if its K and N or Fram, I already had the K&N so it was in there. Juice

okay, another question. How is the snorkle setup? Does it go straight to the throttle body? Or into the stock air box?

it goes into the stock airbox, you cut a hole in it and seal up the old one, of course you could set it up anyway you wanted

Good, cause i just purchased a used air box to install, and i was affraid i wasted the money on the air box. Alright! Thanks guys. Now, i just gotta wait for the next paycheck. Also, did you guys notice a dif in engine temps running a snorkel? I am also contemplating installing hood vents, because being in Orlando, there is alot of traffic, and letting the heat rise straight out of the hood would defenitly have it's benefits. I know that is covered in like 10 other threads, so i won't touch on that. appreciate the helps guys.
Tylor

so, it's decided i am going to go with a snorkel. Now, whose got the best deal? So far, i found Rustys Offroad to be the cheapst, running an ARB Snorkel for $224.00 plus shipping. Anyone found one cheaper? Thanks for any repsonses.
Tylor

Last edited:
Have you heard of making your own from PVC.

Cut a hole in the side of the air-box, seal the original intake, Buy the neccesary pvc fittings to make the intake where you want.

I think you can figure out the rest.

Yeah, i could probably figure it, but, i like the look of something already built and made to fit the Jeep. My fabing skills aren't the best, so i don't really trust myself to go that route, but thanks anyways.
Tylor

Alright. I ordered a Safari Snorkel from Rusty's! I'll let ya'll know when it gets here and installed. Then, i'll be posting some pics :clap:

juicexj24 said:
I run the K&N and Snorkle set up. It doesn't seem to matter which air filter is in there, the hp isn't really that noticeable. The snorkle does provide cold air into the box. Which adds hps, but most important it helps with mpgs. If you do the snorkle, doesn't matter if its K and N or Fram, I already had the K&N so it was in there. Juice

How much of a mpg change did you see after adding the snorkel?

92jeeper said:
Good, cause i just purchased a used air box to install, and i was affraid i wasted the money on the air box. Alright! Thanks guys. Now, i just gotta wait for the next paycheck. Also, did you guys notice a dif in engine temps running a snorkel? I am also contemplating installing hood vents, because being in Orlando, there is alot of traffic, and letting the heat rise straight out of the hood would defenitly have it's benefits. I know that is covered in like 10 other threads, so i won't touch on that. appreciate the helps guys.
Tylor

I've got some nice hoods vents for you if you want them. $25 shipped.
It's from an 82' Datsun just like Digger87xj on page 4 of the hood vent poll started by Gary E on 3/30/03. Here is the link: http://www.naxja.org/forum/showthre...ight=hood+vents

or just put "hood vents" in the search and you will find it near the top of the hits. I don't have a digital camera, my brother-in-law has 1 and I'll try to get you some pics if you want them within the next few days or so.
Troy

steinjeep said:
I've got some nice hoods vents for you if you want them. $25 shipped.
It's from an 82' Datsun just like Digger87xj on page 4 of the hood vent poll started by Gary E on 3/30/03. Here is the link: http://www.naxja.org/forum/showthre...ight=hood+vents

or just put "hood vents" in the search and you will find it near the top of the hits. I don't have a digital camera, my brother-in-law has 1 and I'll try to get you some pics if you want them within the next few days or so.
Troy

Sorry, that link didn't work, try this 1, look on pg 4. http://www.naxja.org/forum/showthread.php?t=1532&page=4&pp=15&highlight=hood+vents

Let me know if you want them.
Troy

Mpg's went up 2 or more depending of highway or city from what I was getting before. I also added a bored TB into the mix with a high flow cat and exhaust so it gets air in and out. I'm running around 19-20 on the highway with 33" tires, AW4 and 4.10 gears. Just go a few tanks before you install the snorkle and clock the miles for F to E. this will give you a base line to follow and than do it a few times about the snorkle is on. You'll see it go up.
Install is easy, just cut the holes in the fender and a hole in front of the air box on the inner fender and cut off the front of the box. Mine's an 88' might be different for the air box on the later models. Juice

Alright. The snorkel showed today and I am lookin through everything, and, the paperwork with it says it is for a 95 onwards. Is this a problem? I have a 92. Does it match up either way? Let me know please

Makes no difference. I got the newer one and put it on my 85XJ. I had to get the newer style air box but I was running a 2.5L at the time anyway.

I figured it out. The only difference is that 95 and newer require the washer bottle relocation kit. But, it is the same price with, or without the kit, so, they just send the bottle kit if you do want to use it or not. So, it works on cherokees with 4.0 from early 80's to 2001. At least that is what the guy at rusty's says.

92jeeper said:
Also, did you guys notice a dif in engine temps running a snorkel? I am also contemplating installing hood vents, because being in Orlando, there is alot of traffic, and letting the heat rise straight out of the hood would defenitly have it's benefits.

I noticed quite a change in engine temp.
Before snorkel 200-210
After snorkel 190-200

Back