• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

2.5L Oil pressure sender...

Blair Williams

NAXJA Forum User
A thread very close to this has been brought up before, but I need a new oil pressure sending unit and I was wondering if anyone could tell me where it is on a 1985 2.5L XJ (w/ carburetor).

As to the sending unit itself, I'm using the gauge cluster from a '90, but I assume I still need the '85 sending unit? I know the gauges themselves were changed during those years, I'm wondering if the senders need to be different? If so do I need a sender for a '90 2.5L perhaps? Bleh. How should I know?

there are different senders. i have an 84 and 94 motor and they use two totally differant senders. The 84-85 sender is a large round and long cylander the screws into the block on the dist. side and in fornt of it. If you cannot locate it let me know I have an 84 engine on a stand that I can photograph and show you its location. I'd check the two parts at teh aprt store to see if they were the same. I'd bet they were not!

When Chrysler revised the electrics in 1991, they reversed the polarity on the gauges and changed the ohm range. The early (84-90) gauges had a range of 0-88 ohms. The 91 and newer gauges had a range of 105-0 ohms. The "wrong" sender will appear to function, but the gauge readings will be inaccurate.

Also, the senders for gauges are a variable resistor, and the "senders" for idiot lights are a simple ON/OFF switch. If you have gauges, be sure to get the correct sender for your year, and for gauges.

Back