• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

whats behind mj flares?

yellowxj

NAXJA Forum User
We bought a 2wd 4.0 5 speed mj out of the bone yard that, after a little vacuum and sensor repair, turned out to run and drive great w/ AC. Any how. I had an extra set of 31's on 10" wide rims and we decided it would be neat to make em fit. Mr.Sawzall fixxed the front but I was just wondering whats behind the rear before I start whacking.

31s should fit the rear flares without any whacking. Otherwise the retaining setup is similar to the front. Try just unbolting the flares.
Be prepared for the power to get sucked right out of the engine when you put on the 31" tires. You might want to keep an eye out for a 3.54 geared rear axle (usually found behind 4.0L automatics). Back when my 88 was 2wd, I put on 30" tires it and it became a slug upon takeoff. Later on, when the Dana 35 starting spitting ring gear teeth, I took the opportunity to upgrade the 3.08 to a 3.54 axle and the truck absolutly came alive! :D
Jeep on!
--Pete

Thanks Pete. That poor old mj tows great, it actually wound up with a 18ft trailor and a 89 caprice behind it for a few miles. Tows good. I love the torque. Didnt want to stop though :laugh2:
Just want to make the rear style match the front.

3.08 gears + 31" tires + towing = :tear:
Definitely start looking for that 3.54! Even more gear might be helpful, but that depends on your plans for the truck.
Jeep on!
--Pete

There is a metal inner fender that's welded to the outer quarter panel skin. You can't cut very far before you remove the weld. I don't recommend cutting at all.

You should be able to run 31s with the flares in place. The MJ sits high in the back, and the wheel arches are larger than on an XJ. If you absolutely MUST trim, remove the flares and rubber liner, cut several radial slits just through the flare mounting lip, and bend the flare lip in. Don't cut it off. You'll have a neater job and you won't accidently cut off the weld that holds everything together.

Thanks for the help kids...I've cut xj's before but havent messed with the mj's too much yet. This truck isnt a permanent fixture :cry: I own a used car lot and cant afford to get attached, but my weekness for xj/mj's shows when I find them. So I'm not really concerned with gearing, it drives great with out a load on it... I just wanted to make a cool/interesting looking mj since I didnt have too much into this one. Soon this will have new seats, and a new coat of OEM dark blue metallic. I managed to get a 4 day old dynomax from the local muffler shop for $27 to put on it too.

Back