• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Autozone listed ATF+3 as repacement for Dexron 3??? Even shows in their computers????

Heinz

NAXJA Forum User
So if its wrong fluid, how the hell do I get my money back???? Now I got to drain and refill at twice the expense??? WTF???? HELP!!!!!!

Re: Autozone listed ATF+3 as repacement for Dexron 3??? Even shows in their computers????

What tranny do you have? If its the AW4, then the ATF+3 is the correct fluid.

Dean

Re: Autozone listed ATF+3 as repacement for Dexron 3??? Even shows in their computers????

DDCxj said:
What tranny do you have? If its the AW4, then the ATF+3 is the correct fluid.

Dean

No, Dextron III is the correct fluid for the AW4.

Maybe both? is that possible?

When I did mine 2 years ago, 3 different places including a dealership listed ATF+3. I never had any problems.

Dean

from what I found the ATF +3 is for Chrslyer products and was designed to replace the Dexron II but not meant to be mixed. My 89 says to use Dex.

ATF+3 is the WRONG fluid, period. Dextron III is what the AW4 is designed for, and that is what you need to use. It's cheaper anyway. ATF+3 is a fluid developed by Chrysler specifically for their transmissions, and ONLY their transmissions. The AW4, thank god, is not a Chrysler transmission. Some dealers are trying to push it because 1. they are too stupid to know that the AW4 is not a chrysler transmission, and 2.It cost about 10 times as much as Dextron III. Go take a look at the drain plug in your AW4, it has DII stamped into it for a reason. Dextron II is no longer available, so Dextron III is what you should use.

Heinz - you aren't getting any money back. It's your own mistake. You should have looked in your owners manual/repair manual or at the very least asked here what kind of fluid to use.

ZmOz pretty well summed it up. ATF+3 is for the Chrysler trannies used behind the 2.5L 4-cyl and the 2.8L V-6. The 4.0L takes Dexron. They are not interchangeable.

Sarge said:
Been using ATF+3 since I got the XJ about 7 years ago. No problems what so ever. 1993 2WD auto.

Sarge

I guarantee yours won't last as long as all the ones full of Dextron. WHY would you use it? It cost more and it's not what your tranny is designed for. If Dextron III was discontinued that would be one thing, but it's not. The AW4, being as strong as it is, would probably be ok for a little while if you filled it up with WD-40. But again...it wouldn't last nearly as long as if it was filled up with Dex III.

ZmOz said:
I guarantee yours won't last as long as all the ones full of Dextron. WHY would you use it? It cost more and it's not what your tranny is designed for. If Dextron III was discontinued that would be one thing, but it's not. The AW4, being as strong as it is, would probably be ok for a little while if you filled it up with WD-40. But again...it wouldn't last nearly as long as if it was filled up with Dex III.

Simple....it's what I was told to use by a dealer service mech. After reading here that it was wrong I switched, had it flushed and everything. Ran like crap, switched back and no more problems. I really doubt by the way that Dex III is the ONLY suitable fluid. BTW this XJ currently has approx. 180K miles and I put roughly 1/2 that on it. Happen to know a few folks using synth which everyone here swears is wrong as well. As for cost, what does it really matter when it isn't something that is changed all that often? What proof do you have of the tranny not lasting as long?

Sarge

ATF-3 is some slicker than Dexron, would probably work OK with a good set of clutches, but is bound to add to slippage, at some time in the tranny´s life. I don´t know for a fact, that the ATF-3 will cause premature failure, but know that the Dexron in a Chrysler tranny, designed for ATF-3, causes all sorts of problems. Dexron has better friction properties than ATF. messes with the slippage, feedback, to the computer, in a Chrysler tranny, causing chatter. Most of the wear in the clutches, for the AW4, is probably, from slippage, ATF is designed, to slip a little more, than Dexron.
After changing back to Dexron (from ATF-3) and a TPS adjustment, first gear slippage and shift points, firmed right up. Personnaly, in my old tired tranny, I´m gonny go with the Dexron, Jeep recommends, in the original manual.

I called dealership and they said ATF+3 is for newer trannys, went back to Autozone, got replacement Dex 3, and today when I bring back ATF+3 in drain pan, they ARE going to refund the difference, basicaly they get back the ATF+3 that was in tranny for 50 miles, give me same amount Dex 3 for Dex 3 price. Drained both tranny and xfer case last pm. I am thinking that SOME dealerships and parts stores are saying ATF+3 is upgrade to Dex 3? Thanks all, Heinz

Heinz said:
I called dealership and they said ATF+3 is for newer trannys, went back to Autozone, got replacement Dex 3, and today when I bring back ATF+3 in drain pan, they ARE going to refund the difference, basicaly they get back the ATF+3 that was in tranny for 50 miles, give me same amount Dex 3 for Dex 3 price. Drained both tranny and xfer case last pm. I am thinking that SOME dealerships and parts stores are saying ATF+3 is upgrade to Dex 3? Thanks all, Heinz

Unless you didn't drive after putting in the ATF+3, you'll want to drain the pan a couple times with a few miles in between. You only get half the fluid when you drain it and the ATF+3 would still be mixed up with the other half. Regardless if someone thinks it will do harm to an AW4, you WILL have problems if it is mixed with Dex III.

ZmOz said:
Heinz - you aren't getting any money back. It's your own mistake. You should have looked in your owners manual/repair manual or at the very least asked here what kind of fluid to use.

While I grudgingly agree that the man will likely have no success in getting
his money back... I also don't believe that it's the customer's responsibility
to KNOW what he needs when he walks up to the parts counter.

After all, why else would the parts places spend their thousands of $ on the
computer systems?

Am I supposed to know part numbers for brake calipers and mufflers and
such, too? If THEY don't fit, I can take them in and get my money back.
Transmission fluid isn't quite the same situation!

Den

Okay, I think we would all agree the owner's manual if the first place to find out what fluids your XJ is to use - I am not going to get into the the GL-3 vs GL-5 discussion again. That horse has been beat to death. The owner's manual lists what fluids are to be use to be in compliance with the warranty. Even though the warranty is expired the choice of fluids is still valid.

Another thing to condiser, in 1987 Chrysler purchased AMC to get the "JEEP" brand. Under AMC a lot of GM components were used and in "general" GM maintenance practices generally worked.

Now comes 15+ years later, the guys doing tech information for parts stores were in kindergarden and never knew AMC was a company, they just know it as a division of Chrysler. The list the "chrysler" fluids for what they think is a "chrysler vehicle" even though every 4.0 XJ with the AW4 traces it's roots back to the 1987 Cherokee built by AMC Jeep.

This is the problem when a vehicle company "buys" components and the tech writers think the company builds everything in house.

I use Dextron in my 88 XJ, when I hdad the dealer do a flush they got out bottles of Dextron III for the machine to use. Maybe I have a guy who knows what he doing at my dealership.

In general, I would use the fluids called out in my owner's manual unless there is a Tech Service bulliten from JEEP which says to use something else. The word of the mechanic or service writer without some published TSB from the OEM is not a good enough reason for me to go to another fluid.

I will have to look at my overhaul manuals for the AW-4 and the NP231, one of them lists mercon as the fluid even though the owner's manual says dextron. When i have that conflict I still go with the owner's manual.

I did own a 86 Mustang with the 302 V-8, fuel injection, and the ford AOD transmission. Ford had stamped on the dip stick to use ONLY Dextron II. The owner's manual said the same. The power steering fluid used Type F, not dextron, not mercon. I had a quart of type F and a quart of Dextron on the shelf to do top offs. Would not of minded if they called out power steering fluid but to use 2 types of ATF was poor planning.

At least with our XJs we can use Dextron in the the AW4 and the transfercase.

I had a '94 Intrepid. A service shop used Dexron in the transmission. It ran like crap especially after a few miles in the city. The tranny would go to what is refered as limp mode, ie: it would go to second gear and stay there. I took the Intrepid to the dealer who replaced the fluid with ATF+3. 100,000 miles later I had never had another problem. The XJ is now doing acting similar to the Intrepid in that when it get hot it would stay in what I think is 3rd gear unless I shift it manually. I was at the dealer on Saturday to pick up a thermostat and asked about fluids for the '96 XJ tranny. The parts guy told me all they use is ATF+4. Needless to say $3.50 per quart looks like a bargin the more I look at it. I guess I will do the transfussion this weekend.
My $0.02

techno1154 said:
I had a '94 Intrepid. A service shop used Dexron in the transmission. It ran like crap especially after a few miles in the city. The tranny would go to what is refered as limp mode, ie: it would go to second gear and stay there. I took the Intrepid to the dealer who replaced the fluid with ATF+3. 100,000 miles later I had never had another problem. The XJ is now doing acting similar to the Intrepid in that when it get hot it would stay in what I think is 3rd gear unless I shift it manually. I was at the dealer on Saturday to pick up a thermostat and asked about fluids for the '96 XJ tranny. The parts guy told me all they use is ATF+4. Needless to say $3.50 per quart looks like a bargin the more I look at it. I guess I will do the transfussion this weekend.
My $0.02

A Jeep tranny has nothing to do with an Intrepid tranny. Again, the dealer that told you ATF+4 is what you need is WRONG. But hey, if you want to ruin your transmission that's up to you...

(In god like voice in your head) This is the Dealer speaking and Dexron II or III is what was originally used in the AW4. However since the ATF+3 is Dexron III based it will work and is probably in the owners manual on the later model units (not physically verified). The only difference in fluid is the anti-foaming agents, friction modifiers and acid neutralizers in the fluid. Now ATF+4 is a different beast. It is a synthetic oil with a hypoid additive and should not be used unless the owners manual says to. To clarify which fluid came in your vehicle look at the dipstick, it will tell you what was and should be used in it if you dont have a owners or factory repair manual. That is all! :rtm: :soapbox:

Rabbit

Just to get this straight guys, I KNEW it used Dex 3, but was told and computer listed ATF+3 as replacement/upgrade to Dex 3. I flushed a few days ago and will prob. flush again this wknd. Would 2 flushes do it? It's running great even when I first put ATF+3 in it. Also flushed out xfer case once, only one qt. and all drained. Thanks

2000 XJ FSM said:
DESCRIPTION
Mopar (R) Dexron IIE/Mercon is the recommended fluid for the AW-4 automatic transmission.

Dexron II fluid IS NOT recommended. Clutch chatter can result from the use of improper fluid.

Mopar (R) Dexron IIE/Mercon automatic transmission fluid when new is red in color. The ATF is dyed red so it can be identified from other fluids used in the vehicle such as engine oil or antifreeze. The red color is not permanent and is not an indicator of fluid condition. As the vehicle is driven, the ATF will begin to look darker in color and will eventually become brown. This is normal. A dark brown/black fluid accompanied with a burnt odor and/or deterioration in shift quality may indicate fluid deterioration or transmission component failure.

Back