• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Failed Rocky Road Track Bar - TRE

jkmhb

NAXJA Forum User
I've had my Rocky Road track bar on my '99 for only 2 months - and wheeled on a 3 rated (on a scale of 10) trail only once! It has 1/4" of play in the tie rod end. At first they would not do anything for me, but after persisting they offered to replace it IF I send them the old one first (or they would charge me for the new one and credit me once they received the old one). No refund on the shipping either way.

My stock track bar was on the car for 4+ years and was perfect when I took it off. It was used on much more difficult trails.

Needless to say I'm not pleased. At least I caught it before it failed altogether and caused an accident or worse.

jkmhb said:
I've had my Rocky Road track bar on my '99 for only 2 months - and wheeled on a 3 rated (on a scale of 10) trail only once! It has 1/4" of play in the tie rod end. At first they would not do anything for me, but after persisting they offered to replace it IF I send them the old one first (or they would charge me for the new one and credit me once they received the old one). No refund on the shipping either way.

My stock track bar was on the car for 4+ years and was perfect when I took it off. It was used on much more difficult trails.

Needless to say I'm not pleased. At least I caught it before it failed altogether and caused an accident or worse.

I have an adjustable track bar from another manufacturer and the tie rod end is shot after less than 10,000 miles. A friend with the same track bar had the original tie rod end last less than 6 months of duty as his wife's grocery getter -- no off-road at all.

Conversely, the original factory track bar on my '88 lasted 12 or 13 years and about 150,000 miles+.

Apparently the companies who make adjustable track bars buy the absolute cheapest, junkiest toe rod ends they can find so squeeze a few pennies more out of the product. I think it's a bad business model, because now I'm not likely to buy skid plates or other equipment from that supplier.

Back