• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

cannister in bumper?

That would be your vacuum storage canister. It comes in handy for disconnect axles, cruise control, and other vacuum related stuff. I'd keep it.

Skitzo,

That is your vacuum reservoir so take care not to damage it. I take it you are removing the front bumper for some reason. You need it to operate you heater controls, cruise controls, so don't toss it.

There have been guys who relocated it to the engine compartment but mine is still in the stock position on my 88 XJ.

While you have access to the bottle you may want to inspect the lines to make sure none are cracked. If so it may be smart money to change them now.

HTH

Martin

ahh....i DO learn something new everyday!

yeah, the bumper was mashed and i'm putting a new one on. hadda cut most of the old one off just to remove it. cannister and lines look good, so i will be putting them back on. not sure if i want to relocate it to the engine compartment even though i don't like it in the bumper...decisions...decisions....

Another reason to move it, acid splooge from the battery drips down there on top of the vac lines. If you move it to inside the engine compartment you won't have to post 'my ac/defrosters/heat only blow out the top vents' or 'my cruise control stopped working', just a coupla good reasons.

While replacing my radiator I discovered this canister by noticing a plastic tube that looks like it had been eaten through by battery acid. I followed the line down in to the bowels of my front fender and discovered the cannister.

Now my question...where is the best place to find replacement vacuum lines? Dealer, aftermarket?

Take a section of the hose to your local auto parts store. I got a replacement from the spools of hose at my Checkers.

The MOST important reason NOT to remove it is......because if you lose your motor for some reason it will provide enough spare vacuum to get 1 or 2 power assisted stop out of the brakes.
Could be the difference between running into a wall or rolling to your death!

Regards
Chewy

ChEwBaCcA said:
The MOST important reason NOT to remove it is......because if you lose your motor for some reason it will provide enough spare vacuum to get 1 or 2 power assisted stop out of the brakes.
Could be the difference between running into a wall or rolling to your death!

Regards
Chewy

Unless I'm quite mistaken, the volume of the canister, the bore of the lines, and the placement of various check valves, make it a non-contributor to brake boost. This is why brake boosters themselves have a big canister of their own, which is dedicated to the purpose. Thank goodness, otherwise all of us jeepers whose blimps have cracked, or lines corroded, would have run into walls and died long ago! :)

Matthew Currie said:
Unless I'm quite mistaken, the volume of the canister, the bore of the lines, and the placement of various check valves, make it a non-contributor to brake boost. This is why brake boosters themselves have a big canister of their own, which is dedicated to the purpose. Thank goodness, otherwise all of us jeepers whose blimps have cracked, or lines corroded, would have run into walls and died long ago! :)

Hmm... my brake booster just get's it vacum fromt the intake manifold... no canister.. :D even if it did lose vacum... brakes would still work, just have to push on the brake harder...(I ran with out the booster hooked up to vacum for a week... never again, my right leg is now larger than my left... :D)

RINGKONG said:
Hmm... my brake booster just get's it vacum fromt the intake manifold... no canister.. :D even if it did lose vacum... brakes would still work, just have to push on the brake harder...(I ran with out the booster hooked up to vacum for a week... never again, my right leg is now larger than my left... :D)

The booster gets its vacuum from the manifold, by a much larger bore line than the other vacuum accessories. It serves as its own reservoir. That's why it's so big. Many cars have no vacuum accessories other than the brake booster, and they have no other reservoir.

I have not seen a newish vehicle that has AC and Cruise that does not have a vac cannister. If you need a new you might want to see if they make them in different shapes that might fit better inside the engine compartment. Curious, is the vac bottle just a bottle or does it have something inside that divides it in half, IOW vac side/pressure side ?? I've never taken one apart or seen a mashed one... Be nice if you could find a nice aluminum one similar to the one you can use for an overflow bottle.

RichP said:
Be nice if you could find a nice aluminum one similar to the one you can use for an overflow bottle.

How about either a used fire extinguisher that's not rechargable, or a used propane can from a hand torch?

RichP said:
I have not seen a newish vehicle that has AC and Cruise that does not have a vac cannister. If you need a new you might want to see if they make them in different shapes that might fit better inside the engine compartment. Curious, is the vac bottle just a bottle or does it have something inside that divides it in half, IOW vac side/pressure side ?? I've never taken one apart or seen a mashed one... Be nice if you could find a nice aluminum one similar to the one you can use for an overflow bottle.

There's no pressure side on these bottles. They're just a reservoir for vacuum. Some of them have two chambers (one for cruise, the other for everything else), but that's basically just two bottles in one package. There's a check valve built into the nipple, so if you do a home-made one, you might want to add another check valve in the line.

By the way, I did actually slice a broken 2-chamber one open with a bandsaw.

Back