• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Tachometer

Ramsey

NAXJA Forum User
I am trying to put a tach on my jeep, but I cant find the negative side of the ignition coil to hook it up to. I know where the ignition coil is, but I dont see anything that could be the negative terminal for it. Its for a 99 by the way. Any input would be appreciated.

anyone?

Looking at the wiring diagram there should be a green and white wire on the diagnostics harness you can tap into.

do i splice into both of them? that would be the harness on just the opposite side of where the plug wire goes?

btt.

Disclaimer: I don't have a '99 factory service manual, so I don't have a year-specific wiring diagram for you.

That being said -- the '99 is OBD-II compliant and most if not all functions are controlled by the ECU. I'm a nervous type -- I would be VERY careful about tapping into any wire that even might connect back to the central brain.

I suppose you already bought the aftermarket tach, but the best way to get a tach is to buy a full gauge cluster out of a junker and swap it in. RichP has done it twice, once on an XJ and once on a TJ. I believe he did a write-up awhile ago.

thanks for the advice, i'll look into that

Back