• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

NP242 sounds shot

cherokee89

NAXJA Forum User
Let's see. It has been a week since my last big problem. I swear I should get rid of this dame thing. Anyway, tonight, I thought I had a screaming u-joint, but it would come and go. When I got home, I jacked up the front and spun the front tires. The transfer case makes a thunking sound every time the drive shaft spins. Fom my search of the forums, it looks like it may be low on fluid. Admittedly, it has not bee checked in a long time, and I will do that tomorrow. But, either way, I think something is shot, and it needs to be re-built. When I put it into 4 in the driveway, it went in ok, but when I put the tranny in reverse, it didn't do anything. I could not move. Then, I heard a grinding noise like a missed shift. I took it out of 4, and came in to bang my head on the wall. Some of the other posts have mentioned getting one from the boneyard for about $100. I wouldn't mind that, but how would I know if it is in any better shape than mine? I have never done any transmission or t-case internal work, but I have re-built just about everything else on my jeep. Should I try to re-build it? Anyone know a good source for a remanufactured or rebuilt one? Thanks. I am going to drink and cry myself to sleep. :bawl:

OK, so it had plenty of fluid in it, and it didn't look bad. I am going to fill it back up and see what happens. I am guessing something is still wrong, since I expected to find it dry. Any thoughts or suggestions? This is so much fun. :puke:

Update:

After adding fresh fluid, it is quieter than before, but there is still a noticible clack or pop. I had to mess around for about 30 minutes to get it to disengage from part time. When it is in full time, I cannot go forward or reverse. The engine just revs like it is in neutral. When I thought I had it back in 2wd, I drove around the block, but halfway, it popped back into part time. When I got back to my driveway, there was a loud pop when I turned in. I am guessing this is the chain slipping. There were a few small pieces of metal in the old fluid. So, I know this needs to be rebuilt, but is it safe to drive in 2wd for the next week, or so, assuming it doesn't decide it wants to be in part time? Any advice is much needed and appreciated. Thanks.

Well, I have been driving in 2wd with no apparent problems. Does anyone know if a np242 from a Liberty will work. I found one online for $550 with 15,000 miles on it. Anyone here think a new chain and a re-build kit will solve my problems, or am I likely to find other gears/parts that need replacing? I know that is a hard one to answer without looking into the case, but I am looking at about $250 for the chain and rebuild kit, and I could still have problems. Anyone, or am I flying solo on this?

cherokee89 said:
Well, I have been driving in 2wd with no apparent problems. Does anyone know if a np242 from a Liberty will work. I found one online for $550 with 15,000 miles on it. Anyone here think a new chain and a re-build kit will solve my problems, or am I likely to find other gears/parts that need replacing? I know that is a hard one to answer without looking into the case, but I am looking at about $250 for the chain and rebuild kit, and I could still have problems. Anyone, or am I flying solo on this?

your np242 is 21 spline unput. the liberty is a 23 spline I bet.

I think after 90 the spline count went up to 23 on the cherokees for both the np231 and np242

I have a NP242 sitting in my wrecked 87... too bad you weren't in the omaha nebraska area.

is your linkage adjusted correctly.... just a thought.

Thanks for the link. Those prices are better than the others I have found. I guess I won't know what else I might need until I get in there.

Back