• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

What are some good places to go wheeling?

Z22_Z33

NAXJA Forum User
I'm curious to what some good spots around here to go fourwheeling are, i'd really like to go but i got no idea whats around for wheeling, another problem may be is i so far got a bone stock 95 xj lol.
I'm just trying to find some info so i can go up thier with my buddies this summer. i've tried surfing the net but can find much, only found walker valley orv but all i know is the name and its somewhere past mt. vernon and its meant more for dirt bikes.
if you guys could either direct me to sites to find directions on how to get there and maps of the area, or just tell me here in the post.
i live in western washington

Walker Valley is a pretty decent place to offroad. Haven't been there in about a year, but there are a good amount of jeep trails. Not just for dirt bikes.

narrow down your location in WA?

There is Evan Creek, Elbe hills dwn south, Rieiter up north, Tahuya is over by Belfair (?) and is great for stockish rigs.

We were just at Evans Creek, NW of Mt. Rainier near Carbonado, last weekend. A couple of the trails are suitable for stock rigs. Trail numbers 120, 199, 280, and 311 should be passable with a stock rig. 520 might be passable when dry, 197 you'll need to get some body protection. You can pick up a map at the trailhead with a llist of the trails. I'm not sure if they have a web site, but they're in the NSFS Snoqualmie Ranger Dist. (360-825-6585).

my exact location is west seattle

do these threads get delated after a while or are they always up?

Last edited:
i've never wheeled on the western side, i've spent most of my time up on chinook pass, running the funny rocks, lily pad, and some of the other local trails. over on white pass theres short and dirty and blue slide, but i dont know the area, have only been once or twice and its been years (thanks to the parental units selling the flatfender i wanted). Most of its pretty good wheeling, wouldnt take a stock vehicle though.

Kristen

Reiter pit is diverse too. You have to be carefull though. Some of it looks ok and ends up a mess. My Toy-yo-duh buds like the trail called Sac-Up. At 4.5" with 31" tires and being the shortest of our rigs, rocker damage was a given. But the trails there are built for Jeeps. Not many others can turn around the trees like a Jeep.

I forgot about the sand dunes and stuff, about an hour or two north of sunnyside (for the life of me cant remember the name of the area). its kinda out by the hanford nuclear area. Just remember to air down if ya head out that way!

Kris

I know that there are sand dunes in Moses Lake, those are fun!! You could also try Taylor River up on the 3rd North Bend Exit. It is really muddy right now, we got three lifted trucks stuck this weekend up there. We would get one out and the next in line would get stuck and so forth. It was fun though and lots of good trails.

Like has been previously stated by most of the others there are lots of areas but really comes down to where you live and what your rig is like.

I do most of my wheeling at Reiter Pit. It has lots of diversity (stock to seriosly modified can have fun). There are at least 5 significant trails (long enough to take several hours or more).

I have wheeled at Walker valley ORV Park, close to Big Lake (Mt Vernon area) and it is ok, good for a stock rig, not a lot of diversity for modified rigs. Much better for bikes than trucks in my mind.

I think Evan's Creek ORV Park has some of the best wheeling around, again lots of diversity, and lots of well marked trails that are even rated (easy, difficult, more difficult).

There is also Elbe Hill, Nachese, lots of smaller areas on almost all of the passes, and also plenty more stuff in the winter time when the snow is around.

Really, when this NW group gets a little more activity I think we need to do some good documenting of trails for the people who have not done as much wheeling around this neck of the woods.

Let me know if you have more questions that I might be able to help with.

Michael

Back