• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

8-point bolt on tranny- engine block

greenday9d1

NAXJA Forum User
I'm trying to pull the engine out of my '92 cherokee limited, and i have everything disconnected except for one bolt - an 8 point that attaches the transmission bell housing to the engine block. there were two originally, one off to the right a little which i managed to get, and one on top to the left that i can't get to. if anyone has dealt with this before, or has some advice on how to get it off, please help me! Thanks!

It's a Torx socket. I think it's E-12. The easiest way to get to those is to support the engine, remove the engine mounts from the frame and the block and lower the engine in the bay as far as you can. This should give you just barely enough room to fit a small rachet down in there. otherwise you'll have to use about 2' of extensions and u-joints to come at it from underneath.

take the bolts to a good hardware store and find hex head bolts to replace them with. I did, and boy i'm glad I did. I ended up having to pull the motor again a year later.

A 3/8" or 10mm 12 point wrench will work on these bolts. I removed mine this way. I also removed the motor mounts and lowered the engine about 2" and went in from above.

Back