• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Pinion seal

Slip Kid

That'll buff right out
I was at the parts store getting a u-joint today, and I decided to finally get a new pinion seal. Of course I don't have a clue how to put it in. Is there a procedure or writeup about this anywhere? If not could someone outline the process for me? I remember seeing a writeup before for a D35, but I can't find it. I have the factory 44, is it the same procedure?

:confused:

TIA

Essentially, yes-

Ok, this is what i have come up with over the years that has worked very well....have mentioned it before in this Forum:

Matchmark the nut to pinion first thing. Remove the nut. Air and an impact almost indespensible. Flange should just pull off pinion splines. Use suitable tool to remove seal. Install new good seal and reinstall flange. Book says use new nut on pinion, but have gotten by just fine with a little loctite on the old one. Tighten nut to where was before using matchmarks and go 1/16 to 1/8 inch turn past where was before- this is the critical step to assure proper preloading of pinion bearings with just a bit more to assure tightness.

Also lube the new seal just a little before you put the yoke back in. Just a little cheap insurance so it doesn't tear until it gets "comfortable" in it's new home.

As Judd says, air tools are INDISPENSABLE when doing this. You'll kill yourself with sockets and breaker bars....
Jeff

get a GREAT torque wrench.

Back