• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Tranny problems

Nik

NAXJA Forum User
I have a pos peugot 5 speed manual. I have managed to make it last a year now with 39's. Last nmight i blew up reverse and don't have it anymore. I was looking to do the AW4 or NV3550 tranny swap to mate up to a 231. I want to keep the 231. To get to the point i am starting to look for a aw4 or nv 3550. I have already searched for swaps and have found a lot of good info, but the only question I have is I have Claytons longarm kit and the crossmember has the drop and holes drilled for the peugot. I have heard the aw4 requires the crossmember to be moved. Well mine it welded damn good to the unibody and I do not want to pull it.

How have you guys modified your stock crossmember to accept a aw4.
Its a 6cy 4.0 with a np sye 231.

couldn't you just weld a plate to it in the middle extending back? You would have to pull the crossmember everytime you wanted to put a filter in the trans is the downside.

Just swapped in an NV3550 in place of the Peugot and it moves the stock crossmember back about 4", just like the AW4 would. Can't speak much about the AW4 mounting but I used stock parts to bolt in the 3550. Used an AX-15 mount mated to the stock cross member which lined up perfectly with a second set of holes farther back on the unibody. Just had to thread them. If you don't want to move the crossmember, you could probably fab up something to work. If you decide to do the 3550, send me a pm and I can give you a few tips to make it go easier.

Back