• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

What shafts are these?

XJpax

NAXJA Forum User
Awhile back, a friend gave me these shafts for a 29spl 8.25. I didn't real need them, but free is cool, so I tossed them in my shop with all my other Jeep parts. Today I was cleaning it out and found the shafts, but noticed one was baout 2/3" longer than the other. Hmmm....count the splines...30 splines? What are these for? They are beefy as hell and about the right width for an XJ. are they 44 shafts? 8.8 shafts? I don't know much about axles, so I was wondering.

if they are 30 splined then its a D44 . 8.25's dont come in 30 spline

Could be XJ D44, they are 30 spline and different length. Can you measure the diameter of the splined area of the shaft? IIRC, the D44 should measure 1.31"

Lawn Cher' said:
Could be XJ D44, they are 30 spline and different length. Can you measure the diameter of the splined area of the shaft? IIRC, the D44 should measure 1.31"

ok, i got 1.32" when i measured. so ya, i am guessing they are xj d44 shafts. anyone need a set? now for sale.

Last edited:
XJpax said:
well ya, thats why i didnt know if they were 44 or 8.8
8.25 and 8.8 ford are C-Clip axles and have a little"button"on the splined end.
D 44 axles are 30 splined and no "button"
Wayne

Wayne Sihler said:
8.25 and 8.8 ford are C-Clip axles and have a little"button"on the splined end.
D 44 axles are 30 splined and no "button"
Wayne

I think the aluminum D44 from the Grand is c clip too. Still 30 spline.

He means it kinda looks like a button....on the c-clip axles there is a machined groove in the splined end to hold a clip. 44 axles and all other non c-clip will not have the machined groove.

Back