• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Dome Lights gone crazy

FarmerMatt

NAXJA Forum User
My dome lights have a mind of there own... It's a 92 XJ laredo & everything functions normally most of the time, but every once in awhile the dome lights will come on for no reason & stay on. If I'm driving at night I have to pull the bulbs & when I get home I have to disconnect the batt. By mourning (or the next time I take it out) everything is functioning fine again. The rig sat for about a week & I walk outside last night & the dome lights are on again? Looking through the wiring diagram it seems like the most likely culprit is the head light switch. Anybody out there have something similar happen? If so what ended up being the problem?

Matt

Same thing happened to me a few months ago after I got a relatively small dent in my front door. The dent tweaked my door enough that it barely pushed the little button thingy on the a-pillar in. With the door shut I could pull/push on it to make the light go off/on. I was able to solve the problem by pulling everything electrical out of the doors & making them into half doors. Althoug a drop of JB Weld on the tip of the button would also work.
Paul

The dome lights are powered at all times and the door post switches just complete the ground. I've seen a wire in one of the door posts get abraded and turn on the lights spontaneously from bouncing around.

Look under the drivers side carpet and also check that a screw for the door sill, isn´t going through the cable harness. I believe the dome lights go through the cable bunch under the carpet, it frays and corrodes. Could be the cables under the door sill, I ve put a screw through the cables before fishing for the hole into the sheet metal.

Back