• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

going rate for a d44?

XJeffro

NAXJA Forum User
whats the going rate for a dana 44 axle? i found one in the local trader's guide for $95. good deal? it has some other specs i can post when i get home from work.
is this a fairly easy swap? onto my 95?

http://www.naxja.org/forum/showthread.php?t=26404

If the ad is for a Cherokee Dana 44 that's complete and in good condition, that's a terrific price. If it's from some other vehicle and needs adaptation for use in the XJ, then it's up to you to price out the cost of everything it'll need and compare that to what an XJ D44 might cost.

For $95, I'd want to check it out very carefully before putting down any money.

ok here are 2 ads i found:

1. extra heavy duty posi traction w/4.88 gears, 3/4 ton axles; Model 44 Jeep pumpkin, fits 1960's and up, jeep trucks and wagoneers, also fits some muscle cars, $100. 4.11 Jeep differential gears, front and rear, $50/each.

2. Jeep complete front axle from 1984 J-10 PU, Dana 44 Model, 2.73 ratio, $95

These sound like good prices? good axles?, will they fit my 95 without any problem? also, are the 4.11 gears good for me to have with my 3" lift and 31's (which will be more by the end of summer)?

Last edited:
XJeffro said:
ok here are 2 ads i found:

1. extra heavy duty posi traction w/4.88 gears, 3/4 ton axles; Model 44 Jeep pumpkin, fits 160's and up, jeep trucks and wagoneers, also fits some muscle cars, $100. 4.11 Jeep differential gears, front and rear, $50/each.

2. Jeep complete front axle from 1984 J-10 PU, Dana 44 Model, 2.73 ratio, $95

These sound like good prices? good axles?, will they fit my 95 without any problem? also, are the 4.11 gears good for me to have with my 3" lift and 31's (which will be more by the end of summer)?

Those are for full-size jeeps and will not just bolt in. The track width should be close to 95' width of 60" though, but they will most likely need to be rebuilt of checked over and have new spring perches/coil perches installed to use in an xj. These bargains can quickly cost you a lot down the road. #1 sounds real good though and I'd check it out. You could part out those parts for more $ than the person is asking. 4.88's/posi/etc go for some $ especially when they are dana 44 related. But if you want a dana 44 rear axle, then under $300 for 1 in decent shape is about the rate in your side of the country and you can find them fairly easy. Just look on the 4 sale board here as they go up almost everyday on the east coast/midwest. They are more scarce or here in California/west coast. I just bought 1 totally rebuilt with new bearings/brakes/4.56 gears/detroit for $950. It was a bit high especially because I already had a 4.56 geared open 29 spline 8.25 but I really wanted a dana 44 rear axle and I know I can sell my 8.25 stuff for $ to recoup maybe more than 1/2 of my costs for the 44.
Troy

The axles for the full-size Wagoneers and J-trucks are 6-bolt hubs, so the first thing to understand is that you'll be looking for wheels. Second, the front axle is set up for leaf springs. There are no mounts for the XJ upper and lower control arms. Lowers aren't too bad, and the passenger side upper isn't too bad, but the bracket for the driver's side upper is on the pumpkin. It requires a special jig and a very experienced welder to weld mild steel to a cast or nodular iron diff housing.

These axles are not the bargains they initally appear to be.

well, that said, i guess i will keep my eyes on the local ads for something else, or hit the scrapyards, now that it is warm. thanks for the input. i appreciate it!

Back