• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

T-case breakage

Silver Bullet

NAXJA Forum User
A friend if mine at work brought in his sons 95 XJ for me to take a look at. He said he could here some strange noise coming from the drivetrain, the faster he drives the louder the noise gets.

I took the Jeep for a ride and I could here what sounded like a chain dragging over a piece of metal. When I looked under his Jeep I saw a two inch hole had blown through his t-case from the inside out, on the lower part of the housing facing the rear of the vehicle.

Have any of you come across a Grenaded t-case like this before? and what would cause it?

I now think the noise I heard was the chain spinning and dragging across the inside of the case, but I was under the impression that the chain would only turn if you are in 4WD.

Any help would be appreciated, the son plans on driving this Jeep from CT to Florida in a few weeks and dosn't know if it would be safe to do with the current problem.

Thanks
Silver Bullet

Not only are you hearing the sound of a chain dragging you are hearing it from a DRY transfer case. Is it a 231 or 242 ??

If he is driving with a hole in the case he is lucky the insides have not melted down and seized up! Replace the case IMHO!

My neighbor's grandson has a YJ that the same thing happened to. Never did figure out what caused it. I guess something let loose inside!

It is caused by teh TC allowing to be run dry and the chain stretches under the excess heat. then wears on the case. In extreme conditions the chain will jump the gears and the bind will punch a hole in the case. but this is rare. I would bet it is damage from hitting soething. I do have a bunch of internal parts sitting in the garage. all but the chain that is if you guys need em.

The case is a 231 and it looks like the damage came from the inside out. The hole in the case is bent outward like a piece flew through it.

Can this kid drive it around like this or can the case seize up and screw up something else in his drivetrain?

Thanks

You CANNOT drive around for extended periods with a hole in the case. The problem is the case needs OIL IN IT to keep the rotating elements lubricated/cooled, regardless of whether it's in 2WD or 4WD.

The hole in the case pretty much prevents the oil from staying in. The only real solution here is a new XC, or spend much time/effort to rebuild the old one.

Honestly, for ease (and probably cost), a used XC from the boneyard, (FILLED with the CORRECT AMOUNT of ATF!) is the best way to go.

I wouldn't drive it... If that chain comes off you're stuck for good or it might send something out that hole. You'll need to buy another t case.

actually the 231 has a through shaft so the rear wheels are always driven, you could take it apart remove the chain and drive it that way, but they are right for 100.00 get one from a junk yard and fix it right, ant TC from 91 and up should work fine. Your 96 has a 23 spline input

The chain could jam things up and lock up the wheels or snap a driveshaft. You could loose control of the vehicle and end up dead. Is that plain enough.

same thing happened to my 242. ran dry for a while, didnt even know it. driving it down the road oneday and thing shook and drivetrain popping and screaming. he shouldnt drive it.

__check your cases often

The guys going to call some junkyards this week to get a price on a Case and then another friend of mine is going to install it for him.

Thanks for the info guys.

Silver Bullet

Be kinda carefull when you buy the xfer case... different spline counts and output shaft lengths.

If your son is coming to the N FL area I can recommend a couple really good shops if he has any problems while he's down here.

Back