• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Where can I find an overhead console wiring harness?

90Pioneer

NAXJA Forum User
I am installing an overhead console in my XJ and do not want to make my own wiring harness. The harness from any '87 to '96 overhead console should work. This is the harness that runs from the console down the passanger side pillar and plugs in under the dash.

I checked the dealer and they said it was a discontinued item. The person who I bought the console from just sent me a connector with a few cut wires on it, which is no help at all.

Anybody happen to have one or know where I can pick one up?

Thanks

The best (and probably only) place is going to be the boneyard. I got my overhead console from a wreck at the boneyard, but failed to pick up the harness (I thought I could just pick one up from the dealer - ha!). I just ended up making my own harness - it wasn't that hard.

djinn said:
The best (and probably only) place is going to be the boneyard. I got my overhead console from a wreck at the boneyard, but failed to pick up the harness (I thought I could just pick one up from the dealer - ha!). I just ended up making my own harness - it wasn't that hard.

Did your XJ already have the wires under the dash to plug the console harness into?

If so, how long did the wires have do be, and how many did you use? I have a chopped off harness for it with 10 wires on it, not counting the IR connector wires, that are on a seperate connector.

Thanks

IF you want, I can send you some diagrams and stuff on how to get it hooked up. I went thru this about a year ago and have all of the FSM diagrams and descriptions on hand here.

Mike

90Pioneer said:
Did your XJ already have the wires under the dash to plug the console harness into?

If so, how long did the wires have do be, and how many did you use? I have a chopped off harness for it with 10 wires on it, not counting the IR connector wires, that are on a seperate connector.

Thanks

Mine had the plugs already in place just behind the passenger side kickpanel trim - all I had to do was tap into the wires (I didn't have the plugs for that end, so I just tapped into the wiring there). I used the FSM wiring diagrams to figure it all out - turned out to be pretty easy! Fortunately, I had the plug for the console end (snagged that from the boneyard at least), so I could splice my wires into that and just plug it in to the console.

Was the plug the same on both ends?

I already have the FSM diagrams and instructions saved. Thanks for the offer though.

Back