• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Cleaning primer and scotch brite scratches off windshield????

4ward

NAXJA Forum User
Well, I'm sick of looking though the haze I call my windshield. We were in a rush when the heep got painted and didn't do any taping off. Someone who shall remain nameless decided to try and clean my windshield (directly in front of my eyeballs no less) with a scotch brite pad. I'd like to get this thing back to looking good since it was a brand new windshield at the time. I have a really nice double disced dual action buffer at my disposal, but don't have any clue as to types of pads or compounds that could be used to take care of the scratches and primer.

I know for a fact that someone makes a compound to polish glass windows as i did it many years ago but for the life of me i can not remember the company.

Do a search on the net.

Mike

I did do a search(not super intensive though). Mostly I came up with idiots with plastic windshields and companies that will do it, but no diy kits as yet.

Get a new windshield.........yours sounds fubar'ed.

What about when you don't watch where your welding pad is on the windshield when you're welding on the front of your exo and you have spatter all over a brand new windshied?

I'll get back to you after I get to work.

Wow!

I never thought I would see the day onehub would care what anything looked like.

If it worked it was good...

Now you want bling bling clean glass????

Make sure you never get any mud on it, it might get a scratch! :cry:

hinkley

My brother works at Advance. He said they've been having luck with regular rubbing compound first and then a polishing compound. Gotta get this 300 in and then I'm gonna try and get this windshield somewhat presentable again.

Goat, duct tape works well for keeping your welding pad from moving around :dunce:

Mark Hinkley said:
If it worked it was good...

Now you want bling bling clean glass????

hinkley

Foggy glass doesn't work. You're just in this thread cuz you think you're cool:rolleyes:

OneTonXJ said:
My brother works at Advance. He said they've been having luck with regular rubbing compound first and then a polishing compound. Gotta get this 300 in and then I'm gonna try and get this windshield somewhat presentable again.

Goat, duct tape works well for keeping your welding pad from moving around :dunce:

I thought we just used rubbing compound, just checked and that's correct. It won't remove a very big scratch, but it should be OK for the scuff marks left from that pad. Polish/wax it afterwards.

Duct tape.........good idea. :doh: :)

OneTonXJ said:
Well, I'm sick of looking though the haze I call my windshield. We were in a rush when the heep got painted and didn't do any taping off. Someone who shall remain nameless decided to try and clean my windshield (directly in front of my eyeballs no less) with a scotch brite pad. I'd like to get this thing back to looking good since it was a brand new windshield at the time. I have a really nice double disced dual action buffer at my disposal, but don't have any clue as to types of pads or compounds that could be used to take care of the scratches and primer.

i used to work for a detailer.
for bugs, paint overspray or any road grime, use steel wool (no sos pad) and glass cleaner.
if it still dosent come off, then use a single strait edge razor blade.

hth
-g

GPRSDLYT said:
i used to work for a detailer.
for bugs, paint overspray or any road grime, use steel wool (no sos pad) and glass cleaner.
if it still dosent come off, then use a single strait edge razor blade.

hth
-g
if you use a blade... try to find a stainless made in the usa one...the cheap ones will scratch the glass...

Smash it with a hammer, call your insurance company, get a new windshield. :D Most glass places will even charge your deductable to the insurance company. I just got a completely free windshield myself...

yup in florida, not sure in other places, they replace yer windsheild for free, for just about any cracks in the glass good luck bub :viking:

Goatman said:
What about when you don't watch where your welding pad is on the windshield when you're welding on the front of your exo and you have spatter all over a brand new windshied?

Ohh so that is how you keep the spatter off the glass. I have these neat little holes in my side windows form welding on the roof rack! :clap:

Back