• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Did you know...

Kudzu

NAXJA Forum User
Was looking at an Olympic 4x4 catalog today and notice the it states under the Shovel and Axe racks that "Federal law requires vehicles going into off road areas of federal parks and froest to carry a shovel and a axe"

Anyone else ever heard this???

I've read that somewhere before regarding traveling backroads within national forests, It's not something that you hear about anybody getin pulled over for but it is common sense to have them when wheelin in the forest.

Yes, that has been a rule in national forests for a long time. I remember my dad talking about it in the early '60s and we always had them on family trips. I believe you are also supposed to carry a bucket - one of those collapsable canvas buckets is ideal. Also, I don't think it applies just to off-road areas; any place in the national forest is what I was told.

I didn't know it was mandatory, but it makes good sense. I generally carry a folding shovel and a hatchet -- don't know if that qualifies as an "axe" but it works for me. I also carry a survival knife -- one of those Bowie types with the compass and fishing gear stowed in the handle. Just hope I don't get searched at a traffic stop and busted for carrying a lethal weapon in the vehicle, 'cause the survival knife lives there 24/7/365. I keep one in each Jeep.

I know in California the law is that if the knife is displayed (say cliped to ones belt) it's perfectly legal, pocketed you're screwed if it's over an inch or so. I got that information from a Torrance Police officer (used to go to 7-11 late at night where they hung out whenver I had a question).

As for in vehicle, I'm not exactly sure on the laws here for that...I can only assume they're about the same...pull it out and put it somewhere displayed (but far from your hands!) when you see flashing lights.

I keep a hatchet, folding shovel, and 18" machete under my backseat. I also have several knives in various places. I use them quite a bit for recovery and trail cleanups.

The bottle rockets in my center console are just there for fun:party:

Last fall there was a talk in one of the local clubs about the bucket and shovel issue. They included it in there required trail equipment and part of the members wanted it dropped.

The are both required by the forest service. I beleive the FS reasoning is just in case you start a fire. I don't believe it stipulates a "bucket" though. It just has to be a device able to carry water in.

No one I know has ever been checked or even had a forest ranger mention the rule to them.

Later,
Lincoln

Back