• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

'88 stocker AM/FM Cass.

Hawaiian Style

NAXJA Forum User
Anybody know the power output of the stocker radio? I've got a bunch of stuff left over from a previous system I might throw into the Chief.

Hawaiian Style said:
Anybody know the power output of the stocker radio? I've got a bunch of stuff left over from a previous system I might throw into the Chief.

ummmm... 2.5 watts rms ... if and this is a big if... the gerbil had a good lunch. :D

I just went digging through my closet and found the one from my '95 but it didn't say anywhere on it. It was really low power though, the worst factory stereo I've ever had. The stock speakers actually sounded half way decent when I ran a Pioneer 50x4 CD/MP3 to it, but the 5.25s in the rear sound bar blew within a week. The front ones hung in there though, they lasted 6 months before I replaced them--they weren't blown I just upgraded. They aren't very efficient though.

Sorry, I guess throughout all this rambling I never answered your question. :cool:

Okay, let me ask it this way... I just replaced the OEM speakers :puke: which of course had rotted away. I've got an Alpine MRV-F250 amp sitting here doing nothing and I thought I might toss it in. It's only 25x4 watts if I use all 4 channels. What do ya think? I can buy a new radio that's claiming 52w per MAX for about 130.00. Just curious to know if it's going to make a big diff using the amp on the stocker or if it would be better to buy a new radio. I really hate to do it because then I'd have to lock my doors.

Thanks.

The amp would probably be enough for the four speakers. I got an alpine head unit only 45 watts running to my speakers and they sound fine unless i turn them up real loud which isnt often. and the 45 watts is only 9 per channel. I have a 500 watt amp powering my 2 subs but it has nothing to do with the four other speakers. The only reason i see for you to buy a new head unit is if you want a cd player or yours just crapped out.

Does you amp have speaker level inputs? You'll need them to run an amp off of a stock radio. Also the power rating on your alpine is probably RMS power vs the CD player you mentioned which is probably peak power. That would make the Alpine just as powerful if not more powerful. I personally think its a good idea if you are trying to avoid theft. You could even mount a FM modulated CD changer under the seat too so that would be stealth. I've thought about doing something like this before, its a real PITA to take the face off my CD player everywhere I go. :flamemad:

As a rule, factory radios suck. Within the past five years or so, this has
begun to moderate a BIT... but still generally holds.

Even the $600 Monsoon system in my VW had a crappy head unit. The $179
Sony I replaced it with made it sound, literally, many times better.

Given my choice between the 25x4 amp and a new $130 head unit, I'd
pick the head unit. And, I'd probably put the amp in, too! :)

And lock the doors.

Den

Thanks for the input. I just hate to have to worry about locking up plus driver's side lock is busted. That means I'd have to fix it or suffer from having to open pax side door and unlock driver's side. I guess I'll make a decision on soon...

I totally understand where you are coming from. My XJ has been broken into twice in the past year. I got it fixed the first time, but I still have a busted lock from the second time. I have learned my lesson though and now I take the face off my CD player everywhere I go.

Back