• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

cooling upgrades

DeftwillP

NAXJA Forum User
I'm planning on doing this in a couple of weeks. After intensive searching, I can't seem to find every exact detail that I need, so I'll adress multiple questions here.

Firstly, the plan.
CSF 3 row from Dirk
external tranny cooler
e-fan conversion

On the topic of the tranny cooler:
I was going to completely bypass internal radiator cooling. I don't do any towing, but might as well get a unit tough enough too just in case I ever need to. I realize that the plate style is better than tube and fin, and that I would also want some kind of bypass valve to allow normal warm up of the tranny. Does this completely rule out hayden units? I know B&M makes a unit for around $50 that is rated to 18K GVW. Anybody recommend a certain one? I will prolly eventually add a tranny temp sensor and gauge too, just not now.

Now the dreaded efan:
My fan clutch is shot any way. I know that practically everyone says this will blow up my jeep and end the world. But I did notice one other member on here is from Austin and has this mod with no complaints, and I am doing the heavy duty CSF along with the tranny cooler. I was thinking about Bender's dual maxima fans. I wanted to know how you and others set up the wiring and just to establish that there would definitely be enough room. Otherwise, I might go with a 12" zirgo, they're rated for around 1600 CFM.

Other searches have also turned up that I should use a factory t-stat because of some weep hole? I guess I should also purchase a new 16lb cap in case the spring in my old one is damaged?

TIA
will

You can bypass the radiator with the trans line, I did. Don't think you need to be concerned about tranny warm up, the factory designs don't.

It doesn't make a difference what style trans cooler you use, if you use the factory style you just get a smaller size cooler than if you use the fin/Hayden style. I have a Hayden for my trans and a small factory cooler for my power steering.

As you already alluded to, most that have replaced the engine driven fan with an electric ended up not liking it, some went back. The clutch fan just pulls more air than the electric, the only advantage the electric has is that it doesn't pull engine power, if power increase is what you're after. If you're only interested in cooling, keep the engine driven fan.

interested in both. I need to replace the clutch or fan, so i might as well go electric to save power and gas.

DeftwillP said:
I'm planning on doing this in a couple of weeks. After intensive searching, I can't seem to find every exact detail that I need, so I'll adress multiple questions here.

Firstly, the plan.
CSF 3 row from Dirk
external tranny cooler
e-fan conversion

On the topic of the tranny cooler:
I was going to completely bypass internal radiator cooling. I don't do any towing, but might as well get a unit tough enough too just in case I ever need to. I realize that the plate style is better than tube and fin, and that I would also want some kind of bypass valve to allow normal warm up of the tranny. Does this completely rule out hayden units? I know B&M makes a unit for around $50 that is rated to 18K GVW. Anybody recommend a certain one? I will prolly eventually add a tranny temp sensor and gauge too, just not now.

Now the dreaded efan:
My fan clutch is shot any way. I know that practically everyone says this will blow up my jeep and end the world. But I did notice one other member on here is from Austin and has this mod with no complaints, and I am doing the heavy duty CSF along with the tranny cooler. I was thinking about Bender's dual maxima fans. I wanted to know how you and others set up the wiring and just to establish that there would definitely be enough room. Otherwise, I might go with a 12" zirgo, they're rated for around 1600 CFM.

Other searches have also turned up that I should use a factory t-stat because of some weep hole? I guess I should also purchase a new 16lb cap in case the spring in my old one is damaged?

TIA
will

I read this post and tried to remember if I had written it. I'm in the middle of the exact project you're talking about. I'm now fabbing a full aluminum shroud to cover the CSF radiator. I will be dumping both OEM fans to run two of the 12" Zirgos. The factory e-fan only puts out 800 cfm so I'm hoping the two Zirgos (3300 cfm) will net out the same as the factory mechanical/electric pair do. I'm building a full shroud to mount the fans to so they will pull air through the entire core.
For a trans cooler I'm using the biggest Hayden they make, running the line from the radiator output (Why are you bipassing the radiator?) through the cooler and back to the trans.
As for the wiring, I plan to run a relay off the thermostat switched hot wire running to the factory electric fan. This should run the fans whenever the temp gets above 210 or when the AC is on. I will also be adding a manual on/off switch.

kid4lyf said:
I will be dumping both OEM fans to run two of the 12" Zirgos. The factory e-fan only puts out 800 cfm so I'm hoping the two Zirgos (3300 cfm) will net out the same as the factory mechanical/electric pair do. I'm building a full shroud to mount the fans to so they will pull air through the entire core.

Where did you find out that the factory one only puts out 800 CFM :dunno:
And which style are you referring to, the early ones or the later 10 blade ones?

Gojeep said:
Where did you find out that the factory one only puts out 800 CFM :dunno:
And which style are you referring to, the early ones or the later 10 blade ones?
To be honest I can't really remeber where it was that I found that out. It was posted somewhere.

kid4lyf said:
To be honest I can't really remeber where it was that I found that out. It was posted somewhere.

Ahhh1

And that makes it true and correct ... just like the link on the OEM forum yesterday to a site that tells us XJs with Selec-Trac have Dana 35 front axles and Dana 30 rear axles.

Yup. Works for me! :anon:

Eagle said:
Ahhh1

And that makes it true and correct ... just like the link on the OEM forum yesterday to a site that tells us XJs with Selec-Trac have Dana 35 front axles and Dana 30 rear axles.

Yup. Works for me! :anon:

I said I don't remember where. Now if we were talking brain surgery I would demand a second opinion, however, looking at the fan it does sound reasonable and I have no reason to assume he was wrong.
Do you?

BTW, There is a difference between false information and a simple, obvious to most people, misprint. (Dana 35 front/Dana 30 rear)
Occasionally common sense should also work for you.

Last edited:
Back