• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

4-Lo Not working!

offroadinchick

NAXJA Forum User
Hi everyone! I have a 2000 XJ witha stock transfer case, 4.5 inches of lift. I just did a search on the forum, and couldnt find my specific problem - (yeah, insert joke here! LOL!) - I can get my Jeep into PT and full time 4WD, but I cant get it into 4-Lo. Here is a dumb question I know, but there is a light for 4-Lo on the dash right? So I pout it in PT, Full Time, but when I shift down into 4-Lo the Part TIme light comes on. Has anyone had this happen to them? I would like to fix this before my next trail ride, so if anyone has any suggestions please let me know!

Thank you!

Is that hard to fix? Dave looked in the book and followed the lines, but we couldnt find anything, so I was wondering if maybe it could be omething else. I hate to spend the money having someone else fix it because it usually turns out to be something simple! Any help is MUCH WELCOMED!!!

Thank you!

If you have a full-time position, you have a Selec-Trac transfer case. I don't, so I'm not familiar with the indicator lights. But ... I don't think there is a separate light for low range. Is that the only reason you think 4-Lo isn't working, or when you try to shift into low range does the vehicle not move at all? If that's the case, it may be a linkage problem.

You mentioned a lift. Are you by any chance running a transfer case drop? Is so, then I would definitely susoect a linkage adjustment problem.

offroadinchick said:
Hi everyone! I have a 2000 XJ witha stock transfer case, 4.5 inches of lift. I just did a search on the forum, and couldnt find my specific problem - (yeah, insert joke here! LOL!) - I can get my Jeep into PT and full time 4WD, but I cant get it into 4-Lo. Here is a dumb question I know, but there is a light for 4-Lo on the dash right? So I pout it in PT, Full Time, but when I shift down into 4-Lo the Part TIme light comes on. Has anyone had this happen to them? I would like to fix this before my next trail ride, so if anyone has any suggestions please let me know!

Thank you!

DId you use a t-case drop? If so you will have to adjust your linkage.

Thanks Eagle. I did drop the transfer case. It moves in 4-Lo, yes the only reason I believe it isnt working is because I get a light on that says "Part time", and I haveing a blonde moment, is there really not a light showing that 4-Lo is engaged?...... Thanks!

offroadinchick said:
Thanks Eagle. I did drop the transfer case. It moves in 4-Lo, yes the only reason I believe it isnt working is because I get a light on that says "Part time", and I haveing a blonde moment, is there really not a light showing that 4-Lo is engaged?...... Thanks!

you should be able to "feel" it when in 4lo.

So there really is no light indicating 4-Lo is engaged? Does it say part time when in 4-Lo for everyone then??? I feel like I am really missing something here! LOL!

I have the same amount of lift with T-case drop and never had to adjust anything on my 99. When you engage four low the part time light is the only light that comes on. There is no 4 lo light. When you are in four low it should shift quickly and feel like the engine has more torque than when in four hi.

Joe

OMG! I feel like an arse now! I did not know the part time light comes on when it is in 4-Lo, thank you! I had the lift put on to quick after I got the XJ I guess! Well, if anyone is wondering, you can do Rausch Creek in 4-Hi.... LOL! Didnt get stuck either! LOL!

Thank you all so much!

bgcntry72 said:
Dear lawd!!!
I don't even have a comment here.
Hasta.

Go ahead, its ok.... <Making appt to get hair bleached...>

LOL!!!!

The reason the "Part Time" light is on is because 4 Lo is intended to be used only part of the time.The transfer case is locked,power to front and rear with no slippage in the system.2.7X1 reduction
4 High FULL time is just that ,power to all 4 wheels transfer case not locked,a differental in the TC will let one axle rotate at different speeds than the other.
4 High Part time,TC is locked, axles rotate at same speed.1x1
Hth
Wayne

Just to check put it in 4HI and let it roll at idle, count how long it takes to roll 100ft
at idle. Then put it in 4LO and repeat, should take you twice as long at half the speed

RichP said:
Just to check put it in 4HI and let it roll at idle, count how long it takes to roll 100ft
at idle. Then put it in 4LO and repeat, should take you twice as long at half the speed

Oh cool, good idea, thanks! I am really sorry, I really had no idea 4-Lo doesnt have a light!!!

Don't let the bozos gang up on you. Those of us who are familiar with Jeeps and Cherokees tend to forget that what's "obvious" to us may not be obvious to other people. The "part-time" light also comes on in part-time 4-hi, so it's reasonable to ask if there's a separate light for the low range.

As it turns out ... there isn't. It would appear that's the end of the problem.

So ... since you're in PA, I assume you'll be at NACFest the weekend of June 11 - 13, right? If you have no clue what NACFest is, check out the events forum. It'll be at Paragon, and it looks like this year NACFest will be HUGE.

Thanks Eagle! LOL! And I dont mind, I needed to know that, and thats one way for me to learn right! I checked out the events section, and that looks very cool! I just need to get my front hitch on so I have my front tow point, I have everything else though. And I will have to check into becoming a member, you guys sure do seam to have a lot going on

: )

Back