• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

broker lower adjustable control arm for 90xj--need fix for

lapaul

NAXJA Forum User
This weekend while trailing my lower driver side ajustable control arm broke. Not sure why yet --no apparant collision with rock visable.

The arm is broken on the upper threaded part (on the side furtherst from the axle) where it attaches to the bushing, the bushing is still bolted to the bracket and the braket attached to the frame.

I managed to affect a field repair using a mufler clamp to hold it wedged in the braket against the bushing to get me home, but now I need to fix it.

Questions:

Do these adjustable arms come in two parts and can I just buy the top part, so I don't need to replace the whole arm.

Might a weld work, welding the arm back to the bushing.

In order to remove and replace the arm do I need a lift or can I do it myself
using jack stands or whatever to keep the frame lifted.

What do you need to do to remove and replace the arm.

If I need just to get one control arm can I buy just one.

I'm not sure what brand this was since I bought the xj used.

P.S. I'm going to try to see why it broke-- maybe the busing froze and the
stress of m0vement creatred the problem, or maybe I inadvertently put
stress on it by accidently putting a plank to far under the vehicle to support it when I was installing rock rails and inadvertantently put pressure on the
arm. I don't remember doing this but I just installed rock rails and might have had support to far under the vehcile.

I would not recommend welding together something like that. Just build a new one, or buy a new one. While you are at it, check the other ones for fractures as well, just in case it is due to internal failure rather than external damage. Without knowing make, model, etc. Its hard to tell if they are two piece, three piece, etc. and whether you can buy just parts or need the whole thing. Might be time to have someone look at it for you, or just upgrade to new parts.
Buck :canada:

Which control arms were they? Reason I ask is because if they are Rusty's old style upper control arms, they had a bad habit of breaking where you mentioned.

The control arm that broke is the lower druvers side arm.

It looks like all four arms are Sky's extreme adjustable arms.

It broker right were the rod part is welded tot he cylindrical part that goes round the bolt thats in the braket that attaches to the frame
the part of the control arm furhest away from the axle.

As far as I can tell I didn't to anything to make it break except to drive it on a moderately difficult trail.

It looks like a failure at the weld, possibly the bolt holding it in to the braket was too tight so it may not have been able to rotate as it should have, though I can't imagine who would have tightened it too much.

It shouldn't have broken. There had to have been a weakness at the weld. A long time ago, a batch of RE arms had problems breaking right where you described, and they replaced them with no problem. I broke one off on the trail, and the other side was cracked......welded them up on the trail and drove it home. It should bend/warp the mount, or trash the bushing, way before enough stress is put on the arm to cause the weld to break.

I called Sky's Extreme and they said they would send me the upper part of the control arm at no cost (would have only cost $14)

They said they never had one break there before, (though a few had broken lower down on the bottom part where the top screw in) presumably after being hit there.

I also ordered a set of 3 other tops for the other arms (at $14 each) since they have a newer version with 2inch bushings instead of 1 inch ones,
and I can take a set along as spares in case this happens again, and replace them when when I have a chance.

From other responses on this forum it looks like changing them out is an easy task that doesn't require lifting the jeep, just keeping the tires in place.

Thanks for the advice.

Back