• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

locker options for 29 spline 8.25

wannabe

NAXJA Forum User
Trying to find out all my options for locking the rear of my daily driver 99 xj with an ARB'd dana30 in the front and a 29 spline 8.25 rear.

I can vouch that the ARB is available, although only for the 29 spline (you already have that). For you other guys with the 8 1/4, the late model 29 spline axles are a direct swap for the 27 spline in the earlier XJ's (I know 'cause I did this with a '96 that had the 27 spline).
HTH

wannabe said:
What other route are thinking.

Don't get me wrong and a lot of people have good success with the no-slip and I am happy with mine, but it just seems like a weak link and would be easy to damage. I just think that your money would be better spent for the long run if you went with the ARB or detroit. Also, 4.56 gears is the highest ratio made for that axle. I am personally working on rebuilding a Ford 8.8 with an ARB for mine.

I broke a Powertrax three times and it wasn't wheeled hard either. Then went with ARB. I got REALLY fast at swapping out that locker with all the practice! I can now remove one in 20 minutes from the time I start removing the wheels. I always thought that the design was suspect. My ARB has been flawless so far.

My two cents: ARB is a PITA. I have never had locker failure due to parts inside the locker, BUT in addition to what i paid for the damn thing:
compressor problems: 220.00 (repaired three times)
line leakage problems: 175.00 (repaired dozens of times)
seal problems: 65.00 (happened once)
times the locker stopped locking when i needed it to: more than i can count

To me, ARB's are pretty, convenient and they are definitely strong, but what a bloody headache that thing has been. I think I would rather replace a powertrax every couple of years than fiddle with that damn ARB monthly.... I'm still waiting for another selectable that will work to come on the market. Its essential for the snow.
Buck :canada:

wannabe said:
Trying to find out all my options for locking the rear of my daily driver 99 xj with an ARB'd dana30 in the front and a 29 spline 8.25 rear.

I have a bunch of 8.25 29 spline stuff for sale:

29 spline shafts: $125
29 spline no-slip locker: Previous owner didn't install correctly and I have a quote on the parts that need to be replaced ($100) & I'm asking $200 for the locker which only has about 200 miles on it. This thing goes for $400 + tax & shipping new from just about anywhere & is much smoother on the street than a lock-rite. Let me know. I live in Sacramento, CA show shipping shouldn't be too much.
Troy

Almost 7 months with 37s on my Detroit, no problems!

What about the lockrite? Is it available for the 29 spline? A friend of mine just installed one in his 27 spline 8.25.

Your only options for TAD's both lockers and LS's are

ARB air
AUburn LS
OEM trashloc
Detroit no-spin
Powertrtax no-slip.

I personally ran a no-slip for 4 years.
I do recomend that you purchase an axtra spring set and replace them every year ($10) cost for a new one as Stein said is around $400

Detroits are strong and stout but cost about $100 more and require more effort to install than the no-slip.

The no-slip can be installed improperly, but it is easy to take proper precautions so that it doesn't happen.

The noslip can be installed in about an hour on your first time with simple hand tools.

The detroit requires removal of the case, swapping the bearings and or new bearings. swapping the ring gear. then resetting the ring gear back lash which requires a tool that you can make if you can weld a nut to a bar.

THe ARB requires drilling into the housing and tapping a thread. along with plumbing an airline to your air source.
If you allready have gears setup then go with the no-slip.
if your doing gears at the same time then either the detroit or ARB.
your bedget will determine that.

BTW if 3 no-slips fail in the same axle then I would be blaming the axle and not the device.

Back