• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Whatcha think about this lift deal? 5.5"RE extreme

Double Down

NAXJA Forum User
Hey all,

I have a chance to grab a 2 year old 5.5 Rubicon Express Extreme for Jeep XJ (Cherokee). It comes with extended braided brake lines, front coil springs, front control arms with braket mounts, rear leaf springs & shakles. Ready to install. It should bolt on lift to clear 35" tires with minor trimming of the front panels. Clears 33" tires with no scrubbing. All I need is shocks and this whole kit will cost me $500.

First of all, is this a good deal? The owner said he is selling because he's putting larger axles and tires, and making a frame under the unibody, so the lift is no longer needed. I asked how the leaves are doing and he said they don't seem to be sagging at all.

Second, is there anything else I should be thinking about that I would need. What do you all think?

Thanks,

Chris (Double Down)

I'd say if everything is in good shape, it's a good deal. You'll need a new trac bar and probably a HD bracket as well. Consider an SYE and CV shaft, but you prolly already had that in mind.

Okay, let's pretend I'm new at this stuff...which I am ;)

What is a HD bracket and why do I need it. Didn't think about the SYE and CV shaft, but who should I look at, if I'm on a budget and only go on trails 30% of the time?

Thanks,

Chris (Double Down)

the trackbar and bracket are a must.
the hd bracket just stands for heavy duty bracket and it connects from you track bar to the underbody.

now the sye is going to cost you a lot of money so there may be an alternative. i didnt see it but if you have a older cherokee you may be able to get away with a transfer case drop kit. but if your trying to run 35's, i dont think that will work, maybe stick with 33's

the trackbar and bracket will run around 150-250
try to look for people on here selling them. i saw a jks trackbar, which is a real nice one for cheap. i scored a rubicon express adjustable and a hd bracket for a 100 bucks on here. so just keep your eyes open.

Yeah, my bad, this would be going on a 97 Cherokee and I was only thinking about running 33's at the most.

So I have to buy the SYE, but can the rest of the stuff be made locally by a good machinist that knows about Jeeps? Just curious.

thanks,

chris (double down)

Give Larry @ Mad4wd a call 330-549-9082 he'll know what all you need. RE's hack&tap SYE will work just fine. He's a good guy with good prices. Where do you live in OH? I'll help you put it together. Rensing

I will do that and see what he thinks. I live in Southwest Ohio where are you from?

Uh...duh, I just saw your profile...I live in Cincy also. Yeah, if you want to help, that would be sweet. I've got some other issues maybe you can help me with at the same time.

Thanks,

Chris (Double Down)

Last edited:
I have the same lift on my 97
I love it!!!!!!!!
Trackbar and SYE are needed.
Yes a local shop should be able to make you a drive shaft. I couldn't do much better then Tom Wood's though, and with them I knew of their reputation. I used an Advanve adapters SYE with TW drive shaft.
you'll want gears with 33's
33 x 12.50 will rub up front if you disconnect, and they will rub in the back if you don't extend your bumpstops enough. I trimmed so I could disconnect the front and I only extended my bumpstops in back enough to keep from turning the springs inside out.
I can't speak for 33x 10.50 but I'm sure someone here can.

If you don't go for it let me know. I'll give you $550 + shipping for it.

r@m

Back